[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 5 07:47:00 EDT 2012

On Friday 03 August 2012 02:36 AM, David Conrad wrote:
> (snip)
> While I personally believe existence and an ability to perform a function does imply some level of legitimacy (perhaps this comes from sitting through too many presentations describing the wonders of unreleased software :-)), I don't think this is particularly relevant to how the technical community can improve the understanding of the technological underpinnings of the Internet. My question isn't about how ICANN can justify what it does, it's about how we in the technical community can get those outside that community to understand "this is how the Internet works".

David, Since you (and, perhaps, some others) have sincerely asked what
can the 'technical community' do to make others, chiefly, policy makers,
understand 'this is how the Internet works', let me try to respond with
all sincerity, as I really see it.

I think you are quite wrong here, that 'legitimacy' or 'how ICANN can
justify what it does' has nothing to do with how the proposed
understanding of 'how the Internet works' is conveyed. My contention is
that these issues are very basically connected. Riaz has made this point
quite well, and often rather eloquently, in a few of his recent emails,
but let me summarise.

The basic problem here is that the so called 'technical community' is
indeed largely what may in fact be called as the ICANN/ISOC community.
It does not consist of all the people who have sound technical knowledge
about the subject, it systematically attracts, encourages and organises
(even, variously, incentivizes) those who can largely defend a certain
techno-political status quo around the Internet. And it equally,
discourages, distances, dis-incentivizes, and disables possibilities of
organising of those technically- knowledgeable people who could offer
'neutral' or factual views, and, certainly, those who could advocate
techno- political alternatives. As a result, what we have as the most
visible, active etc 'technical community' is indeed, often, directly or
indirectly, aggressively or more subtly, found as trying to 'justify
what ICANN does'. Here 'what ICANN does' becomes a place-holder for the
current techno-political paradigm around the Internet.

(Apart from how we are mostly faced with actors with some degree of
closeness if not embeddedness into the ICANN/ISOC system, there indeed
is the factor of 'Californian ideology
<cid:part1.08040903.09030505 at itforchange.net>' political proclivities of
a certain dominant and ascendant techie group, in general. This later
point admits of somewhat different political analysis which i wont go
into here.)

Now, there is nothing wrong in holding a techno-political outlook and
philosophy. Indeed, my organisation and I do. However, and this is my
main point, there is everything wrong in holding such a outlook, and
professing that one does not, and behaving as one is merely providing
'neutral' technical details. I have found very few people on this list,
if any, merely provide technical facts, in that sense. Everything has
been thoroughly wrapped in a certain techno -political viewpoint, in
fact, mostly, in quite a strong techno-social viewpoint.

A 'technical community' committed to such specific and clear
'techno-political' viewpoint can do very little to improve the
understanding of political actors, who could have different base
political positions, or at least would want to keep alternatives open.
It is my view that this is '/the/' key issue at the bottom of what we
see here often as the display of disappointment/ dismay by many of the
'technical community' or close-about on this list about what seems to
them as such poor understanding of political actors, and their pious
statements of desire to do something about to improve it.

regards
parminder