[governance] GAC Advice Register

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Aug 3 14:39:46 EDT 2012

> You don't think the facets of the Internet that the ITU might want to
> control are wider than the rather small subset dealt with by ICANN?
>
> Settlement peering and cybersecurity, for example.
> --

Roland, this may come across as a back-handed comment but I can't think of a better way to put it, and my concern is to "put your heart at ease."

Here we go: Since cybersecurity issues emerges from a complex ecosystem involving software at the application layer all the way down to the network layer, devices, tens of thousands of autonomous systems, and those multiple services and system are supplied by literally millions of independent vendors and thousands of different standards, the ITU is no more capable of controlling that than it is capable of solving the Eurpoean debt crisis or taking over the world's money supply.

Only people who don't understand the cybersecurity problem think we are in any danger of having the ITU "control" it.

As for settlements and peering, please acquaint yourself with the history of international telecom settlements and peering from 1991 to 1998, the collapse of the accounting rate system, and the unilateral US FCC intervention that reconfigured accounting rates, and then we'll talk.