IANA and what is to come 10 years hence? (was: Re: [governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still…))

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:58:20 EDT 2012

Dear Milton,

governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org] On Behalf Of John Curran

> After all, the USG has seen the transition from top-down formal
contracting for these

> functions to a more open bottom-up multi-stakeholder management of
critical Internet

> resources,
>
> [Milton L Mueller] Well, at best, you can say that the USG runs a public
comment period, but the contract is drafted by the USG and for the USG.
Sort of like the way the ITU is going to listen to online public comment as
it does the ITRs, right?

> including the decentralization of IP address management to the RIRs
>
> [Milton L Mueller] Aside from ARIN’s creation, this had nothing to do
with the Commerce Department, but was done when the NSF was in control.
It’s not likely this authority would be delegated to Europe or Asia had the
Commerce Dept been in control.

> , the formation of ICANN, and replacement of the JPA with the Affirmation
of Commitments.

> [Milton L Mueller] the formation of ICANN was supposed to lead to full
privatization after “two years at most” to quote Magaziner, perhaps you can
explain to us why that didn’t happen.

> None of the above would have been possible coming from "a posture of
total unwillingness"...

> [Milton L Mueller] Perhaps he remembers the Bush administration…

[Sivasubramanian M] Thank you for this guess in my defense.  But I do not
so vividly and systematically track policy developments as to analyse
policy / attitudinal differences between one Administration and another,
nor between Democrats and Republicans :-)

[Sivasubramanian M] It is interesting to read your comments, I agree that
it is not all perfect. There is much to discuss within ICANN on further
milestones, that are bound to be achieved over time, sooner or later. But
there is so much of goodness already, or at least a framework for goodness,
which is unknown to most of the world.

> Why should we presume that such a roadmap should come from the USG, as
opposed the Internet community itself?

> [Milton L Mueller] Because the USG controls ICANN and the IANA contract.

[Sivasubramanian M] I would agree with John Curran because, in our
multi-stakeholder environment, the Internet Community is at liberty to take
the initiatives and propose a roadmap.