[governance] Completely Ignored [was East Africa IGF - day 2, discussion of ITRs]

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 2 04:18:18 EDT 2012

Peng Hwa (and Izumi)

On Tuesday 24 July 2012 05:17 PM, Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> Back from a meeting between the emails.
>
> First things first. Thank you for your email. I cannot imagine
> ignoring your email. (In fact, the 2011 email shows that neither you
> nor the issue was ever "completely ignored.")

It is not about ignoring me. It is about the issues that not only were
ignored, they are still being ignored. You still havent answered, any of
the questions that I raised in my 2010 conversations, 2011 email or even
in the present exchange. You havent told me why UNESCAP was not
approached when most other regional IGF involve the regional UN
commissions, you havent told me why efforts were not made to connect to
non-technical community NGOs before preparation begun, including those
persons/ groups who were involved with WSIS Asia Pacific caucus for
instance, why almost no government seems to be involved,  i have no
clear information on who were on the organising committee (simple
information, isnt it, why not share it), who set up the organising
committee, who all funded the event, how many and which all participants
to the event were funded and on what criteria etc......

Now, before you hasten to think that I am being especially non
understanding and harsh on you, pl know that I ask the same questions
from the global IGF (in fact IGC has been doing it consistently) and I/
we also did our best to get much of this into the report of the CSTD WG
on IGF improvements. So, if I dont ask these question vis a vis an event
calling itself the regional AP IGF, I will be being very inconsistent
(which unfortunately, some people on this list are being)

>  I like to think that I would have answered at least some of your
> suggestions but I honestly cannot recall it now.

No, you did not. The proof of it is, you still havent even when I ask
again.

> Be that as it may, I may have felt that you were "mollified" (aka
> agree to disagree) because at that time, you had questioned the
> legitimacy of the APrIGF. I had said that the legitimacy argument
> would in fact play into the hands of those who question the legitimacy
> of civil society, an argument that I thought you accepted. Hence the
> friendly invite for 2011.
>
> I'm wondering if the debate is now moot because:
>
>  1. The IGF Secretariat has now come up with the guidelines for what a
>     regional or national IGF should contain. (The Secretariat itself
>     clearly has no problems with others using the IGF to indicate
>     their national or regional IGF is part of the UN-level IGF.) This
>     is a rather low bar and the APrIGF meets it.

It is not enough if they set the bar low , it is not that civil society
is just sitting to receive with fulsome  gratitude whatever the IGF
secretariat does or communicates (no, that is not how we have worked
traditionally) .We make and let know our positions. The question is, are
you fine with the low bar set for regional IGFs? If so, why did we fight
so much for raising the bar for the global IGF through our engagements
with the WG on IGF improvements, Will be very grateful for an answer,
especially from Izumi who was on the WG.

>  1. The APrIGF is now under AP*.  Some processes have been put in
>     place for approval of the venue, chair of the PC, etc.

I dont think many people here know what AP* is, and therefore you will
have to elaborate. I see it as a group  largelyoforganisations that tend
to see themselves as the technical community, right! So, perhaps, the
equivalent of what you are declaring as the grounds of legitimacy for
the so call AP IGF will be someone saying global IGF is now very fine
and immune from criticism because' it is now under ISOC'.....  I dont
know whether you are aware of it or not, but some such proposal, to put
IGF under the ISOCs, were mooted during the IGF, but most civil society
strongly opposed it.

In this background, your claim that your AP rIGF is legitimate because
'now' it is under a loose unclear technical community umbrella group
sounds to me rather revisionist from a civil society point of view.

>  1. This year, there was a call for panels and some of the panelists
>     were funded. The next APrIGF will have a similar CFP.

No, that is not enough. There has to be a representative, participative,
transparent process from the very start. I am most surprised that you
are still not committing to one. You are just saying there was a call
for proposals, and next year too there will be one. Also, I want
information of which panels were funded and on what creteria.

thanks for your engagement,

parminder