DRAFT: PLEASE COMMENT JOVAN/VLADA Re: [governance] May consultation: IGC input RP and access

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 08:41:12 EDT 2012

On a technical level it would help if the programme was managed in a
structured form online.

The last two years I've tried to write custom code which reads the Excel
timetable that the Secretariat post, and make it available as an online
timetable (e.g. at http://igf2011.diplomacy.edu/schedule/2011-W40) that can
be updated as soon as the official Excel timetable is, but having a better
platform and process to manage changes would be really helpful. Sometimes
changes can't be avoided, but at least a list of recent changes, and making
sure any screens or websites displaying the timetable are able to easily
draw on a central copy would be helpful.

More widely, I'm currently trying to work out how to develop the social
media aggregator tool (http://igf2011.diplomacy.edu/) for 2012, and very
keen to try and link this closely with RP...

All the best

Tim

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <1335780894.44853.**YahooMailNeo at web130106.mail.**mud.yahoo.com<1335780894.44853.YahooMailNeo at web130106.mail.mud.yahoo.com>>,
> at 03:14:54 on Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Nnenna <nne75 at yahoo.com> writes
>

>  One point that I may want to add is
>>
>> "Avoid last-minute changes in programme"
>>
>> People participating remotely find it extremely difficult to adjust when
>> workshops are changed at the last minute.
>>

> I've been at well known International meetings where changes to the
> programme have been posted either as a note on the [original] room door, or
> even worse taped to a screen that's displaying a web page with the old
> programme.
>
> Neither of those are ideal for persons of restricted mobility/vision on
> site, let alone remote participants.
>
> It can be especially frustrating when people Tweet from a meeting you
> never knew was happening, and isn't on the programme. But if those on site
> know that, they can perhaps Tweet revisions as soon as they are aware of
> them.
> --
> Roland Perry

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.
@timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation:
http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales -
#5381958.