[governance] New MAG announced

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Sun Apr 29 05:00:12 EDT 2012

Roland,

Observers should obviously respect the Chatham House rule as well, as the intent of that rule is to encourage free and open exchange of MAG members acting without the constraints of their official affiliation.

There is no rule preventing any MAG member from reporting back or from seeking input into the workshop process or breaking the news, unless specifically asked to keep the news confidential. It's up to the MAG member to make the determination on what can be disclosed.

I guess the problem is often simply information overflow and not enough time to digest it all.

Regards,
Peter

Peter H. Hellmonds
Public & International Affairs
Phone: +49 (160) 360-2852
E-Mail: peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu

On 29.04.2012, at 10:22, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

In message <245B2132-7389-46D0-8B02-860745B635E3 at hellmonds.eu>, at 14:22:58 on Sat, 28 Apr 2012, Peter H. Hellmonds <peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu> writes
> MAG members are free and encouraged to provide information to their stakeholder groups, as long as they respect Charham House rules which say you should not attribute anything specific to a particular person.
>
> But one could say, for example, that issue X has been contentious between gov and civ soc for this or that reason. That a few proponents were in favor of solution Y but were opposed by a small number who favored Z.

That's certainly the case for the formal meetings (although now observers are allowed, it's harder to keep the Chatham House aspect going).

What I haven't seen much evidence of is MAG members (eg) bringing their stakeholder group's input into discussions of the "traffic light" rating selection of workshops, or keeping them up to date with news from the mailing list.

For example, have any (would any/should any) MAG members broken the news "early" that the Baku Forum has been moved to the Expo Centre - surely they were the first to know?
--
Roland Perry

    governance at lists.igcaucus.org