[governance] Dr. Mawaki Chango

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 18:39:13 EDT 2012

I thought I'll share with you the abstract of this work (below) while
working on the full document to get it where it needs to be before any
circulation, as requested by a few colleagues from this list. Then
that thought turned into putting together a preview or teaser, incl.
abstract, table of contents, etc. (attached). In case any fellow
caucus members are affiliated to one of those university press houses
that might be interested in publishing this work, please get in touch
with me.

Thank you, and have a nice weekend.
Warm regards,

Mawaki

Dissertation Abstract
Chango, M. 2012. "Becoming Artifacts. Medieval Seals, Passports and
the Future of Digital Identity."

What does a digital identity token have to do with medieval seals? Is
the history of passports of any use for enabling the discovery of
Internet users’ identity when crossing virtual domain boundaries
during their digital browsing and transactions? The agility of the
Internet architecture and its simplicity of use have been the engines
of its growth and success with the users worldwide. As it turns out,
there lies also its crux. In effect, Internet industry participants
have argued that the critical problem business is faced with on the
Internet is the absence of an identity layer from the core protocols
of its logical infrastructure. As a result, the cyberspace parallels a
global “territory” without any identification mechanism that is
reliable, consistent and interoperable across domains. This
dissertation is an investigation of the steps being taken by
Internet’s stakeholders in order to resolve its identity problems,
through the lenses of historical instances where similar challenges
were tackled by social actors.
Social science research addressing the Internet identity issues is
barely nascent. Research on identification systems in general is
either characterized by a paucity of historical perspective, or
scantily references digital technology and online identification
processes. This research is designed to bridge that gap. The general
question at its core is: How do social actors and processes enable the
emergence and effective use of authoritative identity credentials for
the public? This work is guided by that line of inquiry through three
broad historical case studies: first, the medieval experience with
seals used as identity tokens in the signing of deeds that resulted in
transfers of rights, particularly estate rights; second, comes the
modern state with its claim to the right to know all individuals on
its territory through credentials such as the passport or the national
identity card; and finally, viewed from the United States, the case of
ongoing efforts to build a stable and robust digital identity
infrastructure.
In the process, we understand the relationship of seals to the
doctrines of the Trinity and the Eucharist developed by schoolmen
within the medieval Church, and we understand how crucial it was for
the modern state to coin the legal category of nationality – which
emerged as late as in the 19th century – for its identification
project. Following an inductive and process-tracing approach to
historical case study, this investigation incrementally builds an
analytical framework gathering a number of factors that demonstrate an
explanatory quality or potential as well as the main analytical
insights gained during this inquiry. An ordering of those factors is
proposed as a way to capture the causal mechanisms at work across
these large sequences and structures. In the analysis of the third
case, the making of digital identity is assessed against that
backdrop. While the findings of this case appear to consolidate the
framework already outlined, new trajectories of
implementation-adoption also emerge. Drawing on the rich history of
large-scale identification systems, this work generates a number of
insights that qualify our expectations about identity technology
design and policy-making. It also proposes possible scenarios and
pathways to the realization of authoritative digital identity, some
plausible and some other less so, which stakeholders may consider. But
this is just the beginning of yet another story of identity.