[governance] New MAG announced

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Apr 27 09:39:10 EDT 2012

In message
<CAFabd1LC8X8MibVY4QRBRCH0aOF5xLvzoEtivALjjnd0AjGbqw at mail.gmail.com>, at
21:44:28 on Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes
>From the press release announcing the new MAG "All Advisory Group
>members serve in their personal capacity, but are expected to have
>extensive linkages with their respective stakeholder groups."
>
>I think difficult to have a liaison or facilitator. It should be
>enough that people joining MAG make a sincere effort to reach out to
>their stakeholder group (and individuals will probably imagine that
>stakeholder group differently), take views they hear to MAG
>discussions, and pass information back. Regularly.

I agree, but from my perspective I generally see more information
flowing from stakeholder groups to their MAG members, than back in the
other direction. It's almost as if the expression "serving in their
personal capacity" gives them an amnesty from reporting back.

My remarks are not aimed at any specific individuals, but perhaps some
of them take the Chatham House rule to mean they can't say anything,
when what it actually means is they can't attribute the speakers, but
are not prohibited on reporting the sentiments expressed.
--
Roland Perry