[governance] New MAG announced

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:20:54 EDT 2012

And my congratulations as well, (including to Mwaki!)

On a related note, I've just come back from participation (as a researcher)
in the first formal meeting of the Open Government
<http://www.opengovpartnership.org/> Partnership (OGP). The OGP is another
and newer "multistakeholder partnership" but with some very key
differences--formal terms of membership (signing on to a declaration),
formal accountability (a prescribed review mechanism), and a formal status
for Civil Society as a "partner" with governments in the on-going process
(including with a CS representative as a co-Chair).

There are of course, differences in domains, desired outcomes and so on, but
the structure of the OGP is worth a look, if nothing else as concerning the
evolving (and emerging) role of CS in global multilateral governance
structures and thus perhaps worth a discussion by the IGC and some thoughts
as to CS/MAG orientation. (I've written a blogpost <http://wp.me/pJQl5-9f>
on the OGP that might also be of interest including some themes that link
back to some of my earlier interventions in this space ...

Best,