[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sat Apr 7 16:22:36 EDT 2012

My 2 cents is the general principles/objectives being pushed by the ITU's Broadband Commission are not bad, but the fact of the matter is it more a classic high-level talkathon opportunity than anything else. Submitting docs to them is likely not worth the time it would  as Michael suggests. And for CS, certainly not worth the bother of trying to shape/steer at this late date when the dye is cast.

Since for example Carlos Slim may be personally a nice guy but he has been absolutely ruthless stifling competitors in the Mexican telecoms market. Telmex's exploitation (only word for it) of the Mexican market has caused very high service prices to this day, which may account for the limited uptake of broadband services there. Just a guess.

In fact Carlos and Mexico has long been my favorite object lesson in my classes for my students on the benefits of exploiting telecom monopoly 101: you too can become the world's richest, IF you find the right telecoms market to control!! Or, put another way, why you/your business/organization/nation should favor competing providers.

Lee