[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 07:10:31 EDT 2012

Thanks for this perspicacity.

Yes, there is a paradox of participation, i.e. by participating one can
legitimise what one intends to oppose. That in of itself is not a reason
not to participate.

The issue is that one can be so radical as to be irrelevant, and so
reformist as to not even be incrementalist. And these all depend on fine
judgement of the range of possibility that fora have within them. So
there is no formulae for this.

The key issue for me would be a culture of meaningful respect for
diversity in these movements/processes. What we had in the swings of the
pendulum on this list tends toward more rich country/market orientation
views IMHO without adequate cognition of the need for diversity. This
convergence implies a homogenising effect.

So it is different strokes for different folks, with some engaging and
others commenting from afar. All should be tenable, and governance
structures should encourage diverging views with an emphasis on
fairness. Like it will not do to have bankers in charge of government
rules on finance, a similar approach needs to be appreciated in the IG
processes. But this rather obvious point is one that Parminder and
others even struggle with here.

Diversity on views is important in this context, and should be
encouraged rather than discouraged.