[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 04:42:24 EDT 2012

Parminder

Thanks for this input and analysis.

For me what is important is that you and others continue to push for
genuinely democratic participation that ensures a concept of fairness
(that is fidelity to weaker members of society). It will not do to have
formal liberal/progressive assumptions of equality. When looked at in
this light, and from the tenor of most discussions on this topic, one
can see that the "threat" to fairness is really from those who espouse
(?pseudo-) liberal values.

The balance of forces are tipped against fairness in large order (it is
almost as if one has to explain the point that in "market" oriented
system those with money exercise disproportionate power - as you pointed
out on multi-stakeholderism). If one recalls the dynamic coalitions on
Intellectual Property and the kinds of discussions that were had by the
luminaries given pride of place, we can see that the predictive value
(or rather relevance) of these sessions were rather pedestrian or poor -
and now we see very real threats to the internet coming from the North
(for export to the South). As far as guardians of a liberal and humane
order, I personally conclude that Weapons of Mass Distraction are
typically deployed so that an innocuous safety valve is allowed, while
"real" issues get sidelined. Contextualised in a non-binding format of
the IGF, this reflects a reactionary predilection of enormous proportions.

But there is a good core of people here that question the dominant
debates (and most importantly the /framing/ of debates) that ensures
that these (?pseudo-) liberals do not hold the monopoly on the debates.
In this way it is at best a rear guard action to prevent a complete rout
of the fairness brigade. It is a pity that more people do not see the
relevance of the South positions you advocated, which in large order has
been vindicated. While I have problems with Zizek, he puts the
predicament of our times for progressive people-centred (not to be
confused with consumer-centred) as: _catastrophic but not serious._

Americans can now be strip and body cavity searched for any infraction,
while ACTA continues in the fine tradition of 'the best democracy can
buy' while the likes of you, Guerstein, Mueller, etc have to insist on
arguments based on sound reasoning that does not gain traction. Perhaps
this is just politics, but those who push this play toward the norms of
power, not those of the public interest. There is a kind of
post-modernist bliss in the framing of the (?pseudo-) liberal arguments
- where everyone (or almost everyone) has a right to be heard, and that
solves everything. This is interest based politics, and largely an
abandonment of reason, no matter what the sophists might think, and
reasoning is the ticket for the civil in civil society i.e. you are
playing in uncivil society. And if one is merely engaged in this kind of
stuff, then reason is a hostage to powerful interests. Implicit in all
of this is the contention that there is US (or rich country)
exceptionalism, which to some extent is true, but increasingly less so.

Collective processes have their merits, but perhaps it is time for some
of those with concerns that are shared North and South to develop a
framework (for collective action) to deepen (instead of broaden) their
issue-engagement in these processes to avoid least common denominator
outcomes. Gurstein for eg on CSO participation has made some interesting
proposals that perhaps can be the basis for parallel processes so that
the (?pseudo-) liberals can be saved from themselves. The system needs
contradiction and antagonism, that is simply the evolutionary (not to be
confused with Social Darwinism) process of capitalism, which of itself
is a revolutionary force...

The IPR debates and issues are merely a reflection of what happened to
African and other countries on the health debates for access to
medicines. There we were talking about a death sentence for brown
people, and the internet issues are somewhat less violent, which makes
for a more difficult case to make. Of course Americans after
strengthening these forces (diplomats, bureaucrats, officials) in their
countries left them open to abuse in their health care debates (a most
inefficient outcome - USers spend more than any advanced country with
poorer health outcomes). But somehow the connection is not made, that if
you strengthen forces that can intimidate and shame the likes of Mandela
that these forces will come and bite you. A similar process is underway
on the net - with the self-righteous, well oiled and well heeled
guardians (aka apologists) in tow.

For your and others rather lonely battle, as I am just a useless lurker,
perhaps take solace in the Mead'ian quote: *Never doubt that a small
group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it
is the only thing that ever has.* This is a fine American tradition of
peaceful (and unlike me you have grace and charm) change that I hope you
continue to claim and deny the monopoly of action to the pesudo-liberals.

Of course, I am being deliberately provocative and not very practical,

Keep up the excellent work my friend...

Peace

Riaz