[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Apr 4 20:56:39 EDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On 03/04/2012, at 7:48 PM, John Curran wrote:
>
>> I have no involvement in the ITU Broadband Commission (and am the probably one of the last
>> folks on the planet expected to speak in defense of the ITU's attempts at multi-stakeholder
>> engagement), but is there an actual issue here to respond to?   Has IGC or other CS
>> organizations attempted to engage with the ITU Broadband Commission and been told that
>> they are not welcome?
>
> Yes.  Consumers International offered to put together a workshop on broadband with them.  The response, "We tend also to only partner with existing members of the Broadband Commission, which makes a joint initiative here hard to justify/coordinate."

Jeremy -

  Good to know; that's definitely a non-inclusive approach by the Broadband
  Commission to the problem.

> On that note, if anyone else is interested to co-sponsor a workshop on consumer protection issues around broadband, with CI and the LINK Centre, contact me offlist and I'll send you the link.

   While it may be a futile effort, it would be good if the report from any such
   workshop noted the difficulty in jointly working with Broadband Commission
   due to their approach on partnering.   This could be added to the record by
   submitting to their sharehouse and then referenced in any future dialogues
   regarding the actual 'multi-stakeholder' nature of the Broadband Commission.

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimers:  My views only.  Warning: this email was made using machines
                    that also process social network web pages.