[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 09:03:34 EDT 2012

John,

Some time ago I stopped attempting to post useful stuff in response to
random, non-directed, open ended, structureless, formless calls for best
practices, case studies, etc.etc.  There are about a dozen of those (or
more) floating around the ICT4D world at any one time.  In the absence of
any indication of how one's effort is going to be considered, the
opportunity to engage in dialogue and context setting with those in theory
reading the documents, the process by which one's input might be considered
and channeled into discussion, and so on, I consider it to be a major waste
of time--providing the form of consultation without any of the substance.

If folks are seriously interested in getting feedback there are quite
specific mechanisms for engaging with people who have knowledge/experience
to provide... In the absence of such mechanisms there is Google to provide
an almost endless stream of such floating in the ether--reports, best
practices etc.etc.

As I said I read the first report and gave my off the top reactions...
Nothing I saw from your pointers has changed my mind. The Working Groups
appear to be for the most part either inactive beyond the appointment of one
of the worthies on the Commission as Chair and the formulation of a mission
statement; or their outreach consists of including one or two academic
notables whose positions also are well known. If their Sharehouse facility
only has two reports referencing Nigeria then little more needs to be said
about that enterprise--the rest of the world appears to share my opinion of
those types of efforts rather than yours.

As I recall in the original blogpost I talked about form without
substance...