[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Apr 4 07:59:49 EDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:28 AM, michael gurstein wrote:

> The problem with what you say below and as is suggested I think, in my blogpost is not that "we" are focusing on the titles but rather that whoever is organizing the initiative is focusing on the titles.  And the problem with that is not either with the titles or the individuals behind the titles but that the outcome is more or less completely predictable based on those titles (presumably as executed by the various courtiers and functionaries who actually did the work as opposed to having simply graced the meetings with their presence...

Strange.   An organization which historically has focused on participation predominantly
by member states expands its model to specifically allow for submission of "case studies,
best practice, analytical reports and policy recommendations" from anyone, and yet in
advance you can determine that the outcome is completely predictable?  That implies
that we are 100% certain that these inputs are not being considered (or maybe you
mean 'completely predictable' because civil society has not intention of participating??)

> And, since you asked, I sent my blogpost to one of the Commissions' "researchers", who replied with some irritation but who failed to directly address any of the points that I, or the commentators on the post were raising.

Your blogpost calls for (amongst other things) that the Broadband Commission consider
"the much more nuanced and sensible approach outlined in the Background document to
the Nigerian BB4NG forum"   Did you ever submit that document to the actual Broadband
Commission?  From what I can tell, this would be via their 'Sharehouse' system, and yet
I've searched the Sharehouse but only find two submissions including term "Nigeria"
(see below).  Wouldn't actually submitting them the document aid in its consideration?

If indeed they are not considering these submissions in their work which is asserted to be
a multistakeholder process, then, yes, that would indeed be a very important issue, and
one worth raising in multiple forums. As it is, it is impossible to address raise concerns
since it doesn't appear that you're even tried to participate in their processes at all.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.  No Lifeguard On Duty - Use Mailing List At Your Own Risk.
                    Check tags on individual email messages as many messages look alike.

=== http://www.broadbandcommission.org/Sharehouse/Search.aspx  (term "Nigeria")

2 initiatives found
Updated	Country/Entity	Initiative
9 Jan 2011	Nigeria: DigitalSENSE Africa Media	Nigeria Digital Sense Forum
Tthe forum tends to explore the impact of Internet Governance and Broadband Evolution in Nigeria in relation to achieving the goal of Information and communication technology (ICT) accessibility and adoption for the benefit of the populace, especially with the coming on stream and launch of two subm ...
ID: 1294527821
27 Sep 2010	United States of America: Pyramid Research (UK and US)	The Impact of Mobile Services in Nigeria: How Mobile Technologies Are Transforming Economic and Social Activities
Pyramid analyzed mobile adoption trends, examples of mobile applications, as well as the perspectives of key players and 1,500 Nigerian end users. Mobile communications are having a positive impact in Nigeria by attracting investment and developing commercial activities.In Nigeria mobile broadband s ...
ID: 1285599926