[governance] Instituto Nupef on IBSA Rio recommendations

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:47:45 EDT 2011

I totally agree with Carlos Afonso about the need to dissociate civil
society participants on the seminar from the set of recommendations. As I
said on my post about the seminar, already reproduced here on the list, "The
government representatives of IBSA drafted a set of recommendations, with
focus on institutional improvement. The document will be forwarded to the
next IBSA summit, in South Africa". The set of recommendations were drafted
by government representatives of IBSA after the seminar, as as can be seen
on the program<http://direitorio.fgv.br/http%3A/%252Fwww.direitorio.fgv.br/cts/seminario-ibas>
.

On the last panel, about institutional arrangements, issues such as a global
policy making gap and the possibility of the creation of a new body have
been raised during the seminar, as a brainstorming, and there was not a
document emerging from it.

The language of the document put forth by IBSA was unfortunate, on the sense
that it gives reason to believe that the points governments raised have
somehow been endorsed by other actors.  Civil society from Brazil has
engaged on conversation with the Brazilian government, that made a
commitment to clarify that the document has an intergovernmental nature

Now, as someone who worked on the organization of the seminar itself, I also
feel the need to clarify its dynamics. The seminar took place in FGV
premises (an academic institution) and the meeting was open to anybody who
would like to participate. Online registration was the only requirement (so
we could program coffee breake, etc). But people could register on the spot
as well. In spite of the fact of the tight schedule (funding was only
secured 1 month and a half before), a set of people from all stakeholder
groups were contacted by phone and mail, and we asked them to replicate the
invitation. Civil society organizations that work with broadband even agreed
to postpone an act that was being organized on the same date, so there would
be no clashing what would allow more participation.

So, even though outreach was imperfect and that some people that were
invited could not attend, I think it is important to stress that the
discussion of substantive issues and institutional processes were done in an
open manner, and it is my personal understanding that there was a frank
dialogue between governments and non-gov actors during the sessions,
including the one about institutional arrangements. That certainly
differentiates that initiative from the dynamics that has taken place
elsewhere. Secondly, the seminar should be seen as a starting point for
starting formal ways of discussing the topic, and I totally agree with
Carlos that the best place would be CGI.br, due to its multistakeholder
representative composition.

Looking forward to provide any more information about the organization of
the meeting, either on the list or on the corridors of the IGF.

Best wishes,
Marília

2011/9/28 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>