[governance] Re: Draft open letter to the United Nations General Assembly

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Sep 27 10:39:02 EDT 2011

On 27/09/2011, at 5:31 PM, Brett Solomon wrote:

> Hey Jeremy, Izumi an Wolfgang,
>
> Great and important initiative which we will sign on to.
>
> However, I do think, given the nature of the proposal and its direct contravention of the Tunis agenda, the letter is too soft.
>
> eg
> We should make clear who we are  - not just a group of NGOs assembled, but some of the world's leading organisations, networks and Xx representing millions of people etc (This is not the right language I know, but let's establish ourselves).
> I think we should provide them with the text that should be included in the proposal ie if they have text, they have something to work with.
> I dont know if there are other concerns with the proposal (I haven't seen it - is it worth sending around to the list?) but I wonder if it has sufficient rights language contained in it.
> The last line could be strengthened significantly: We express our hope that the UN committee which will deal with the proposed document will take into consideration our concerns. Could be "We express our deep concern about the proposed text and call upon the members to ensure that the current proposal be rejected in its current format."

Thanks for your comments.  Attaching the text for your further info (and bcc'ing everyone again).

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
www.consumersinternational.org
Twitter @ConsumersInt

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.