[governance] critique of the IBSA proposal

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Thu Sep 22 12:14:11 EDT 2011

El 22/09/2011, a las 00:19, Jeremy Malcolm escribió:

> On 22/09/11 01:11, Miguel Alcaine wrote:
>>
>> I would like to make a distinction between EC and EC in the context of the WSIS outcomes. If one read the famous paragraphs on EC, it is found that EC in the Tunis Agenda refers only to Governments.
>>
>> While I would had liked to have EC spelled to all actors in the WSIS outcome documents; it is not.
>
> This is so only if you restrict your view to paragraph 69, but you can't look just at that paragraph outside of its context.  There are about ten paragraphs on EC (though they are intermixed with the paragraphs about the IGF, lending weight to the argument that the IGF is an integral part of EC rather than a separate channel of reform).  Most of these do leave room for a multi-stakeholder interpretation, eg. paragraph 71:
>
> "The process towards enhanced cooperation, to be started by the UN Secretary-General, involving all relevant organizations by the end of the first quarter of 2006, will involve all stakeholders in their respective roles, will proceed as quickly as possible consistent with legal process, and will be responsive to innovation."

Good points Jeremy:

The paragraph 71 also says:

"Relevant organizations should commence a process towards enhanced cooperation involving all stakeholders, proceeding as quickly as possible and responsive to innovation. The same relevant organizations shall be requested to provide annual performance reports."

What shows clearly that EC was not mentioned in the documents neither as a governmental process nor as a single process. Is the multiplicity of different changes that have to be processed at every level, including changes in the way in which governments and intergovernmental organizations work.

Raúl

> One can easily argue that paragraph 69 is directed to governments in relation to CIRs, and that the involvement of other stakeholders in CIR management is already a given and not controversial.  Thus there was no need to mention the other stakeholders in that particular paragraph.
>
> --
> Dr Jeremy Malcolm
> Project Coordinator
> Consumers International
> Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
> www.consumersinternational.org
> Twitter @ConsumersInt
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

Raul
Twitter @raulecheberria