[governance] Notes for input to opening session statement

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:02:14 EDT 2011

I was happy to see the word "catalyst" in the theme, with its indication
that the Internet is NOT the thing itself. The people are the "thing itself"
- Kenyan people, Pacific Island people, Saint Lucian people - as well as
developed world people. Considering that we are a civil society group I
think it would be a good thing to include this emphasis - which I expect you
are doing already :-)
Good luck Grace.
Deirdre

On 21 September 2011 22:52, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Good People
> >
> > I finally got a formal confirmation that I will be the CSO speaker during
> > the opening ceremony. I am required to submit some sort of 'speech' by
> > Monday.
> > Jeremy had provided some talking points (thanks alot Jeremy) and Imran
> > had made additions (again, thanks too Imran).
> >
> > I am now asking all of you to look at both Imran's and Jeremy's
> suggestions,
> > agree, amend, add, subtract, and get back to me by friday evening. Is
> that
> > alright? This is a multistakeholder process and offers equal
> opportunities
> > for contribution. Remember, this will not be my speech, but YOUR speech.
> > Kindly input.
>
> I would suggest you add our particular kenyan perspective as well,
> perhaps describe how our CS comes together to give input on policy and
> the things that the gov is doing in terms of enabling environment, the
> things that business is doing because of this enabling environment,
> and the results (world leader in mobile money, lots of mobile app (and
> mobile app labs) development, thriving social entrepreneurship in the
> tech space, open access shared LTE network infra to be built, ccTLD
> run on a MSH model, etc, etc.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979