[governance] critique of the IBSA proposal

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:17:25 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>wrote:

> At the same time I have concerns - based on personal and political
> experience - about the implications for human rights, openness and for
> the participation of civil society, social entrepreneurs, hackers,
> developers etc. of more rigid institutionalisation of intergovernmental
> oversight of internet governance.  I also have seen so many times that
> when governments argue about multi-stakeholder participation, or human
> rights, that even the ones are committed to it, will be willing to
> sacrifice it for the sake of other geo-political interests.

I think that this concern is very plausible and Anriette articulated it very
well during the seminar, with the support of other CS. Government reps
replied that they have a different evaluation about it. They believe that a
forum of EC would serve as a space to advance a rights perspective with the
participation of all countries, including more recalcitrant ones.

Best,
MarĂ­lia

--
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade