[governance] critique of the IBSA proposal

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 23:19:34 EDT 2011

Ivar

I did not bother to interpret anything - I merely provided a quick
translation of what the paragraph in the law said. Paul interpreted it and
frankly I don't know what he is on about.

My initial post was about not creating wrong impressions that might
sidetrack attention, but now this is also becoming a distraction, so - as
the Brazilians say - I am getting off the bus now!

Best regards to all, use the Sunday to recharge,
Um grande abraço,

Rui

2011/9/18 Ivar A. M. Hartmann <ivarhartmann at gmail.com>

> the fact that you have come up with a different interpretation to that
> section in the law will do little to change this situation.
> Best,
> Ivar
>

> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 20:51, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Ivar A. M. Hartmann <
>> ivarhartmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would by default oppose a global body of IG run by gov representatives
>>> which is either suggested by Brazilian gov or influenced by it in any way.
>>> Just as an example, Brazilian law prohibited people from making jokes
>>> about politicians running for office during election periods. This was in
>>> force up until a year ago until the Supreme Court (not Congress, mind you)
>>> decided to put an end to it.
>>>

>> In the public sector (government), at least a Supreme Court, as in the
>> Brazilian example above, can correct a policy.
>>
>> But, in the private sector there will be no such correction, *ever, and
>> they too have "no joking" rules.*
>>
>> Using employment as an example, private sector bosses often have rules of
>> "no joking about the boss or the boss's interests or you will be fired".  In
>> every country I know of, such private sector "no joking" rules are
>> enforceable law.  Not only that, but there isn't even a reasonable chance
>> that the power of the private sector boss to prohibit satire and joking will
>> be open for *debate* anytime soon, much less that the ban on private sector
>> joking would change.  But *in Brazil's government, the no joking policy
>> changed, *thanks to the Brazilian Supreme C*ourt.**
>>
>> Even internet providers terms of service will have non-disparagement
>> clauses and the like.  So, if you are effective enough ridiculing something
>> important to the private sector internet provider, you can have your
>> connectivity terminated.  If your anti-telcom humor is ineffective or no one
>> listens, I grant that you may have an illusion of "freedom" and you might
>> not be terminated.  (That's just the freedom to be irrelevant, not the
>> freedom to joke about or satirize the telcom.)
>>
>> To oppose all government involvement is not only completely
>> anti-democratic, but in the case of the "freedom to joke" it is like going
>> out of the frying pan and into the fire.
>>
>> *--
>> Paul R Lehto, J.D.
>> P.O. Box 1
>> Ishpeming, MI  49849
>> lehto.paul at gmail.com
>> 906-204-4026 (cell)

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

_________________________
Mobile Number in Namibia +264 81 445 1308
Número de Telemóvel na Namíbia +264 81 445 1308

I am away from Johannesburg - you cannot contact me on my South African
numbers
Estou fora de Joanesburgo - não poderá entrar em contacto comigo através dos
meus números sul-africanos

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant