[governance] Input sought for IGF survey questions from Imagining the Internet

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Thu Sep 15 10:50:05 EDT 2011

Hi All,

The Imagining the Internet project at Elon University will have a team of
documentary journalists in Nairobi Sept. 26-30 at the Global IGF. Dr. Rich
Landesberg of Elon will lead a video survey team that includes five young
people. We are extremely thankful for your participation in our past surveys
and we are looking forward to seeing you in Kenya.

We are shaping up a question set right now and we'd like your input. I have
included the questions below. You will note that some of our questions are
repeats from previous years - this is required to get longitudinal data.
Feel free to answer them in new ways if you have participated in the past -
that's the point, to see how things evolve. Several of the questions are
new. As always, we will be conducting our survey in our booth at the IGF
Village and in the hallways of the conference and wherever we can find you.
Thinking about the questions in advance helps you form your likely response
into a tight, informative soundbite.

Here's the link to the IGF-Vilnius survey, FYI:
http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/igf_2010/survey.xhtml

If you have a good question you'd like us to consider adding or if you would
like to suggest edits to the questions, please reply as soon as possible.

The 2011 Global IGF questions, as proposed at this point:

- Access is a primary goal of IGF. How will doubling the number of people
online from 2 billion to 4 billion change the world?

- With mobile connectivity many of us are living a life that is ³always on²
or ³hyperconnected.² Some people even say the Internet is an extension of
our brains and we are becoming cyborgs ­ human-computer beings. How does
being connected online all the time change us as humans?

- In 2015 will most people generally go directly to the World Wide Web to do
their work, shopping, socializing and other online activities - as they have
the past 20 years - OR will most people generally be using apps or social
networks as their gateways for doing everything? Which will dominate most
people¹s lives - the open Web or apps and social networks?

- What responsibilities do technology innovators and designers and the
organizations that produce our tools and access have to ethically serving
the global public, and are they living up to them?

- Will IGF survive and still be relevant in 2015? Explain.

- What is your greatest hope for the future of the Internet?

- What is your greatest fear or concern for the future of the Internet?

- Describe the future of the Internet in one word.

--
Janna Quitney Anderson
Director of Imagining the Internet

Associate Professor of Communications