[governance] MEASURING the digital space - whose MEASURES apply, and whose do not

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:58:07 EDT 2011

On 8/31/11, Craig Simon <cls at rkey.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> The question ultimately hinges on who makes up the "we" in your
> sentence, "my position was that we need to be thinking of global
> governance institutions and thus global measurements/measurement
> strategies..." How do the members of "we" constitute themselves as
> agents capable of voicing grievances and making demands in the first
> place? Who counts? Who gets counted?

When "we" are constituted, it's called democracy - if it includes everyone.

If less than all people are constituted as "we the people" it is an
aristocracy or oligarchy.

If certain key leaders of "stakeholder" groups get together and decide
policy it's a form of aristocracy called "multi-stakeholderism."

And so on.

We all know global democracy including everyone has not been
constituted.  In the meantime, all of the arguments made against
democracy are received with great skepticism on my part -- at least if
the person making the argument is in any way, shape or form
participating in a policy elite -- either some form of aristocracy or
multi-stakeholderism.  It's only human nature to come up with all
kinds of reasons not to want to share power more broadly -- it dilutes
one's own influence, and we all naturally desire to maximize our own
personal influence.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.