[governance] Cyber Security 2011

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:11:55 EDT 2011

And haven't you noticed that it is absolutely de rigueur for a country to
be under cyber-attack, as it used to be essential for cocktail party
conversation, if one were the right age and gender of course, to have had a
hysterectomy?
Deirdre

On 31 October 2011 11:57, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>  > These reports were on the BBC this morning, in case they are any help.*
> ***
>
> >** **
>
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12371056  William Hague: UK is under
> cyber-attack****
>
> ** **
>
> Typical of the distorted dialogue around this issue, this article screams
> “UK is under cyberattack!!!” and when you read the details you see a bunch
> of uncoordinated routine problems, such as viruses embedded in attachments,
> and some espionage probes, many of which were successfully blocked. And
> then we have the mother of all nonsequiturs: “Mr Hague said these kinds of
> cyber-threats called for a "global response", with like-minded countries
> agreeing standards of behaviour on the internet.” So, to translate this
> into meatspace terms, the fact that there were and probably still are
> Russian, Israeli, Syrian (and maybe even a few American) spies in the UK
> required a “global response” too. And of course govts will pass
> high—sounding resolutions not to do that, and of course they will continue
> to do it if they can get useful intelligence from it and get away with it.
> My problem with all this is that whenever UK and US govts start talking
> cybersecurity it is their own citizens’ freedom and privacy they start
> chipping away at, not those of other govts.
>  ****

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979