[governance] Alternative to status quo (was Re: India Proposes...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Oct 30 04:10:51 EDT 2011

Daniel,
  you certainly make a valid point. The drafting process for proposed
resolutions of the Parliament that I'm proposing should not be
restricted to the people who run for election. That should be a bottom
up process in which everyone is invited to participate, with hopefully
many experts participating, a process which results in a number of
competing proposal texts for each of the areas where a decision of
the proposed Parliament is needed. The role of the Parliament would
be to debate these proposals and make the decision of either choosing
one or a decision that consists of choosing none for now (with the
debates being public and providing guidance on how the proposals may
need to be combined or otherwise modified).

Relying on elected representatives for decision-making may not be a
mechanism for reaching perfectly optimal decisions, but I know of no
other process that is capable of making credible decisions in the
public interest even against the will of special interests that have
essentially unlimited financial resources.

Nota bene, I'm not looking for the proposed Parliament to replace any
of the existing specialized Internet Governance institutions, with the
exception of some aspects of ICANN. But it should in my opinion
(eventually, after it's well-established) replace the US government
oversight role, as well as working on other areas of technology
governance including technology for development frameworks and climate
protection.

Greetings,
Norbert

     governance at lists.cpsr.org