[governance] Alternative to status quo (was Re: India Proposes...)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:56:33 EDT 2011

Daniel,

I think it is most regrettable that your experience with governance and
governing has evidently left you with very deep scars, resentments, and
cynicism.

You should know however, that your experience is by no means universal and
my own experience is to have had the opportunity to know, work with and
share the benefits of the outcomes of politics and politicians who were
dedicated, public spirited and honest to a fault.

Certainly I have known politicians of the kind you are referring to, and
they unfortunately come to ascendency when citizens are unwilling or unable
to act effectively in the public sphere but I think it is extremely
dangerous to suggest that we act in a completely defensive and cynical
posture towards all structures of governance and those who occupy them.

It seems to me that when confronted with the structures and individuals of
the type you are pointing to, the response should be to redouble our
individual and collaborative efforts towards effective processes rather than
to look to have governance turned over to the unelected, the unaccountable
and the more or less completely opaque.

Mike