[governance] Government involvement in Internet governance on November 4

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Oct 28 08:00:03 EDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 09:27 , Baudouin SCHOMBE wrote:

> The principle of "multistakeholder" suffers in some countries where there is no framework for consultation or not respected.

I just want to assure you that this is happening not only in Africa. Examples, where such arrangement really works are rather rare and I suspect, that as with anything else this is happening because of some bright individuals in the respective Governments who push for it, not because the system works. This is probably how any political environment works, anyway. After all, those representatives are only human.

To overcome this human behavior limitation it is important to not concentrate too much power at one place. Avoid involving Governments in technical matters and avoid involving technical community (*) in political matters. The Internet Governance "policy" is actually multifaceted -- it has aspects for both politicians and technical people as well as the civil society etc.

Internet has been successful because it had never, ever one central command post. You kill one of the leaders, but there are thousands or (now) millions other to stand up.

Daniel

(*) It is important to understand, that the technical community does not include only the so called "techies" or "geeks". It also includes, for example a lot of people with vision about how this thing develops. These people are in the "technical" side, just because they do not care about the "politics" involved.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org