[governance] IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

KovenRonald at aol.com KovenRonald at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 06:23:34 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/26/11 2:32:17 AM, ian.peter at ianpeter.com writes:

> Hi Ronald,
>
> At my last count there were over 140 countries, and I would expect them
> all to have the opportunity to be involved. That’s why involving the UN makes
> a lot of sense.

Dear Ian --

There are actually more than 190 member governments of the UN now, and well
over half of them favor or have put into practice I'net controls that
amount to censorship.

The likeliest UN agency to administer the I'net, and the one that has shon
that it most ardently seeks that, is the ITU, which also has a history of
opposing multistakeholderism.

Below is a speech by the US official most involved in trying to preserve
I'net freedom.

Could you imagine officials from the majority of UN member states making
similar statements ?

And it's not just a matter of ringing rhetoric. USG practice has been
overwhelmingly along the same lines. In the few instances where it has shown
itself to be tempted to act otherwise, as over the WikiLeaks episode, it has
pulled back and apparently thought better of it when confronted with protests
over such potential inconsistencies pointing toward restrictionism.

Bests, Rony Koven

Remarks on Internet Freedom and Responsibility

Michael H. Posner
Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor

Silicon Valley Human Rights Conference
San Francisco, CA
October 25, 2011

Thank you very much for inviting me. I’d like to thank Access for
organizing this conference and especially Brett Solomon, who has worked so hard to
make it a hub for thoughtful exchange and discussion.
And I’d like to thank the many other friends here today who have helped map
out how socially responsible companies can respect people’s fundamental
freedoms online.
Today we face a series of challenges at the intersection of human rights,
connective technologies, business and government. It’s a busy intersection
and a lot of people want to put up traffic lights. In the next few minutes I
want to help frame the challenges we face, and offer practical suggestions on
the role of companies and how we can best work together to preserve
Internet freedom.
First, a word about the challenges.
Almost every day, we see new examples of the power of connection
technologies – the transformative power, and the disruptive power. Entire industries
have been upended, starting with Old Media. In a single decade, new
technologies have decimated traditional newsrooms and killed their business model,
but given rise to literally millions of citizen bloggers and citizen
filmmakers and a new global journalism outlet called You Tube. All in one decade.
Today we have tens of thousands of people armed with cell-phone cameras and
video, documenting what is happening on the streets of the Middle East.
Some can upload it within minutes. Others have to smuggle it out in places like
Syria. But the truth is getting out.
And yet, these amazing technologies haven’t made it any safer to do
reporting in these hard places – or for human rights activists to talk to one
another.
The Arab spring brought home the power of the Internet to governments far
beyond the Middle East, and the result has been more censorship, more
surveillance and more restrictions.
Repressive governments used to set up firewalls at Internet Exchange Points
to block external content they disliked. Now they’re using bots to delete po
sts and block emails in something approaching real time. They’re using
surreptitious deep-packet inspection and sophisticated key-logger software to
track what their citizens do online. They are exerting overbroad state control
over content, over users, and over companies. And they’re trying to change
national and international legal standards to legitimize it all.
Let me give you one example. Last month in New York the governments of
China, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan came to the UN to suggest the need for
an “International Code of Conduct for Information Security.” This would
shift cyberspace away from being a multi-stakeholder, people-driven model – to
a system dominated by centralized government control. Not a good idea.
An online world where more and more countries begin policing content for
ideological correctness – whether they call it a Halal Internet or a hate-free
Internet – would extinguish the promise of technology to drive global
understanding and the free exchange of information, ideas, and innovation.
So my first message to you is that the Internet space – which has seemed so
open and free – could become less so. We are up against an ever more
sophisticated range of technical, legal, and political challenges to freedom in
cyberspace. Secretary Clinton has called the Internet the town square of the
21st Century. The Obama administration has staked out a principled stand on
Internet freedom, arguing that the fundamental freedoms apply online just as
they do offline. That includes the right to freedom of expression, assembly
and association.
I also want to say a word about the protection of intellectual property,
which is sometimes seen as in conflict with Internet freedom. Even though it
may be more difficult to enforce these rights in the Digital Age, as authors,
artists and inventors are discovering, they are protected by international
law. You don’t have the right to break into a movie theater and steal the
film reels and you don’t have the right to steal movies online, either.
Before I joined the Obama administration, I spent most of my career in the
NGO world, where for years I argued – you might say self-servingly – that
progress on human rights is rarely generated by governments alone. Now from
my perch inside government, it is even clearer to me that government can’t do
it alone – and shouldn’t.
To advance these fundamental freedoms, we need the help of citizens,
corporations and global civil society for what is likely to be a long, tough
struggle with regimes that do not share our values or our views on the merits of
openness. And I particularly want to call attention to the role of
companies, because today corporations have more global influence than ever.
If Wal-Mart were a country, its annual revenues would rank it as the 23rd
largest economy in the world -- ahead of Norway and Venezuela. That’s
comparing annual revenues vs. GDP. Hewlett-Packard is only 11th on the Fortune 500,
but its 2010 revenues would rank it ahead of Vietnam and Morocco.
So the private sector is more powerful than ever. But it’s also less
private than ever. Today, we’re all living in a fishbowl. Any one of us may face
public scrutiny for any decision we make. And now it’s instant scrutiny in
real time. Most of us are still learning the new rules for life on webcam.
It used to be that companies only faced this kind of scrutiny in a crisis—
when the Labor Department exposed sweatshops or when violence erupted along a
pipeline. The strategy was crisis-mitigation and damage control, without a
lot of attention to the underlying issues. Today, more and more companies
realize they can’t wait for the crisis to consider human rights. If you’re
living in a fishbowl, on webcam, you have to do the right thing 24/7. And
companies find it is often more effective to work together—even with their
toughest competitors—as well as with governments like ours, and with NGOs.
Through these cooperative efforts, they are addressing the underlying issues
before they find themselves in the crosshairs of controversy.
Let me give you a few examples.
In the extractive industries, Exxon, Chevron, BP, Shell and 15 other major
oil and mining giants, who do business in some of the toughest places on
earth, met in Ottawa last month. They joined seven governments and 10 NGOs in a
collaborative effort that aims to minimize the risk of human rights abuses
by security forces in conflict areas, which is where the natural resources
often are.
In the private security industry, Xe Services LLC, formerly Blackwater, and
200 other private security companies have signed on to a new international
code of conduct. The code addresses their use of force, and it bans torture,
sexual exploitation, human trafficking and forced labor. The companies are
now working with governments and NGOs to build a system to verify that
everyone who signs up lives up to their pledge.
In the apparel industry, a number of large global companies have opened up
factories in their global supply chains to scrutiny by independent auditors
and posted reports about their labor practices online. For more than a
decade, leading companies including Nike, adidas, Liz Claiborne and H&M have
worked hard to improve working conditions in their supply chains, and they have
found willing partners from NGOs and universities through an organization
called the Fair Labor Association.
These companies are making money in hard places. Each has realized that one
of the costs of doing business in those places is to assess the risks and
to invest in developing principles, people and processes to address the human
rights challenges they confront.
Your problems are not so different from those oil companies with wells in
the Niger Delta, security contractors operating in Iraq or apparel companies
sourcing in China or Bangladesh. Your challenges are unique, but the process
of addressing those challenges is no different.
Over the coming decades, the growth markets for ICT companies will be
disproportionally found in less developed countries. That’s where your next three
billion customers live. And these are the places where repressive regimes
are getting hold of the latest, greatest Western technologies and using them
use them to spy on their own citizens for purposes of silencing dissent.
Journalists, bloggers and activists are of course the primary targets.
So these are the places where companies will face the greatest scrutiny and
real challenges. We’ve all seen the news about demands to turn over user
information or questions about what has been sold to repressive regimes by
Western companies. Three years ago, the headlines were about companies in
China. Last month, rebels found Colonel Qaddafi’s Internet surveillance boiler
room in Tripoli as reported in the Wall Street Journal. This week, it’s
information technology in Syria.
Of course we have some sanctions in place, and we enforce them. But whether
or not there are formal legal sanctions, companies should be thinking about
how to do the right thing.
My point is that scrutiny—from the public, the media and Congress—is
unlikely to diminish even if the Arab Awakening fades from the headlines, because
other governments in some very important emerging markets appear fiercely
determined to control what people do online. And just as the extractive
industries, private security contractors and apparel companies have found a way
forward under scrutiny; your industry must now do the same.
I’m not the right person to assess your business models, your technical
capacities, or your dealings with individual governments. Each of you will take
your own path. But after almost twenty years of working with companies on
tough human rights issues, I can tell you what the smart companies are doing.
In general, their response has five elements:
First, they have developed broad principles to guide their actions. In this
field, these probably include principles on free expression and privacy and
perhaps also criteria on when to avoid working with governments who use
technology to become more efficient at committing gross human rights
violations.
Second, smart companies are developing internal systems to ensure that
these principles are applied in practice. This is not a public relations
exercise. It requires senior level buy-in by company leaders, hiring people whose
job it is to make sure it happens, and the same focus that executives apply
to any other high priority for their business.
Third, leading companies devise internal benchmarks of progress. These
benchmarks help assess risks and respond to problems, and they allow companies
to evaluate whether they are solving the problems the principles seek to
address.
Fourth, they are banding together to develop industry best practices and
plans for collective action. In fiercely competitive industries, no company
acting alone has the power to solve human rights problems. Working together,
in concert with civil society organizations and willing governments like our
own, you will have more clout. In my observation, in the area of human
rights this often is an essential ingredient of success.
Finally, collective corporate action is bolstered by systematic engagement
with stakeholders – with NGOs, universities, think tanks, experts and social
investors. They have information, expertise and early warning of problems.
Activists, journalists and bloggers are the canaries in your coal mine; if
you listen, they can help you anticipate trouble and take steps to address
problems before a crisis erupts. And for the record, I offer that same advice
to the very governments who often shoot the instant messenger by going out
and jailing bloggers instead of listening to the valuable information they
convey. Whether you view your stakeholders as dissidents or advisors, they
will shape the public debate on your issues. They can make you more credible
and validate your efforts.
These elements aren’t a prescription or a quick fix. But they do offer a
constructive approach that has worked for other companies. And I would be remi
ss if I did not call out the efforts of three particular companies, Yahoo,
Microsoft and Google, for their leadership and all of the NGOs, academics,
social investors and other stakeholders with whom they are working through the
Global Network Initiative. For the past five years this group has wrestled
collectively with the thorniest issues of the day. These are the kind of
efforts that help us find ways forward together.
Cyberspace belongs to all of us now. It’s where we live. It’s where you
earn your living. And just as no business wants to open its doors in a
high-crime neighborhood, no business wants to be located on the street where police
are beating up democracy protestors. And we all share an interest in an
open Internet that supports a culture of entrepreneurship in which people
around the world can thrive. It’s not just the technologies born here in Silicon
Valley that are revolutionizing the world and creating huge demand for your
products. It’s also the culture, the ethos of innovation, the dedication to
freedom, fun and profit that are finding resonance around the world.
The Internet on which the future depends can’t be maintained as an open and
global network if we don’t work together to figure out how to push back
against those who care more about political domination than empowering
innovation. My problem is your problem. It’s all of our problem.
Silicon Valley has already given birth to game-changing technologies and a
profoundly new approach to philanthropy. Many people here have made it their
life’s work not only to develop transformative technologies but also to put
them in the hands of people in places where digital empowerment is leaps
ahead of political or financial or educational empowerment. Never have great
ideas gone from dream to global distribution so quickly.
But with great code comes great responsibility. It isn’t enough simply to
develop a revolutionary product and leave it to others to figure out what
happens next. You, the people in this room, are the brain trust for the coming
generation – for the next five billion users who will be coming online. So I
challenge each of you to work with us to help figure out what can happen
next, what must happen next, to preserve the Internet as we know it. Or the
autocrats will figure it out for us.
And I challenge each of you to innovate again. Not just in your products,
but in the way you will serve your customers. People with real needs, and
rights, and aspirations for a better life. Innovate for profit, but also for
the people in the hard places. We will be your partner. Thank you.