[governance] Efficient Spectrum Management + Efficient Networks = Access ?

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Oct 20 09:53:35 EDT 2011

As usual when business asks for "immediate action" on something, let us
be careful on this.

Spectrum bids are won by big telcos who in many cases win these bids for
 a preemptive strategy -- hoarding big chunks of spectrum to block other
competitors, even more so where regulators are weak or biased towards
big business. This needs to be analyzed on a case by case basis with a
review of actual deployment of services and real demand, as well as the
focus of universal service (which in many cases is not imposed in the
incumbent contracts by the regulators).

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org