[governance] Complexity Mathematics, the EU and Global Governance - from The Globalist

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Tue Oct 11 12:43:41 EDT 2011

Andrea Illy presents some relevant thoughts on global governance in
Complexity Mathematics, the EU and Global Governance, from The Globalist
http://www.theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?StoryId=9363.
<http://www.theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?StoryId=9363> The focus is on
the EU but lessons for the Internet might be found there as well.

It starts:

    I am not a mathematician, but I have learned that we must grapple
    with some key concepts in order to prepare ourselves for the
    challenges that lie ahead for our civilization --- almost regardless
    of where we live. The first important principle to get our arms
    around is this: The more we grow, the more disorder we create.

    While this may sound like some anarchical idea, it really is the
    thermodynamic principle of entropy. Likewise, the more disorder that
    we have around, the more variables we create. As a result, we
    constantly create more complexity, because the definition of
    complexity is the interdependence of the many variables involved.

    Managing this complexity requires a completely different mental and
    scientific approach than the one we are used to. People tend to
    think in a linear fashion, simply because that's what we are used to
    doing.

    We humans are adept at, and used to, understanding three dimensions:
    length, width and height. Why is this significant? Because that is
    what typical linear mathematics captures. Once you surpass three
    variables in mathematics, however, then you start entering
    complexity mathematics, which is completely different. ...
    <http://www.theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?StoryId=9363>

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt, Director
Connecting.nyc Inc.

P.S. We're sponsoring a discussion on governance of the .nyc TLD this
Thursday from 10-11 AM, New York time. It's using Google's Hangout
feature as follows:

    What is the governance process for the .nyc TLD?

    Is the multi-stakeholder model used by ICANN and the IGF appropriate
    for a city TLD? (Typically thought of as business, government, civic
    society.) How might this be adjusted for New York's needs?

    We'll discuss the governance of other civic communication channels -
    public access cable, radio, tv - and how a city TLD might be best
    governed.

    The topic will be addressed at our regular Thursday "Tea and the
    .nyc TLD" Hangout on Google +, for one hour between 10-11 AM.  Go
    here  --> Google+ Hangout
    <https://plus.google.com/_/notifications/ngemlink?path=%2F%3Fgpinv%3DdfX6OlVqIUg%3Al0RUKL1XqtM>.