[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:17:15 EDT 2011

Actually I propose that the IGC does not rely on Nupef's submissions soley.
It is critical that the global civil society has a view on the issue as we
could be later blamed for not speaking out when we had the opportunity to do
so. These are some thoughts:

Noting that reference to the IBSA Multistakeholder meeting on Global
Internet Governance was restricted to public and private sector within India
and Brazil and civil society in Brazil although there has been some notable
contentions by Nupef [insert hyperlink to Nupef’s publicised statement].

Acknowledging the advice given to the Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) by
one of the organisers of the IBSA meeting.

Noting that the spirit of Global Internet Governance demands that any
discussions affecting the evolution of internet governance discussions
should involve the global internet community through the global internet
governance forums that are convened annually;

[Suggestion to IGC: We can hold a white monkey survey and take a vote on the
issue – although we should be prepared for the results]

My personal views on the matter are that the greatest strength of the
Internet Governance Forum is that it is transparent, democratic and
multi-stakeholder and to create an institution to manage global internet
processes to develop processes for internet at global level needs to be
urgently addressed could threaten vulnerable groups. In WGIG 2005 Report V.
A. 36 recommended the “creation of new space for dialogue for all
stakeholders on an equal footing on all Internet governance related issues”.

Acknowledging that the WGIG in its 2005 report concluded that there is merit
in improving institutional coordination as well as coordination among all
stakeholders at the regional, subregional and national levels, the IGC
believes that this does not justify the creation of an institution.

The United Nations Internet Governance Secretariat (“Secretariat”) already
exists and if the stakeholders within the IBSA feel that coordination can be
improved then it should communicate to the Secretariat what it feels could
be strengthened. In my view to bypass the Secretariat and lobby within the
United Nations General Assembly is to act in bad faith of the machinery that
is already available to us as members of the Internet Universe.

In UN meetings, only governments are given votes and in some instances there
are forced governments which are not elected etc. In having a forum like the
current IGF model people can have freedom of expression. The use of
“multilateral” goes against the grain of the core definition of Internet
Governance that was developed  in the WGIG 2005 report that the then UN
Secretary General commissioned which was subsequently endorsed by member
states of the UN.

The WGIG 2005 Report further reinforced the inclusiveness approach and to
shift the spotlight on a single spectrum, albeit powerful spectrum, is to
forever alter the “inclusiveness” approach. Did the Tunis Agenda mention
“multilateral”?

In fact Part IV of the WGIG 2005 Report talks about developing a common
understanding of the roles of government, private sector and civil society.

The use of fragmentation of the internet, disjointed policy making needs to
be substantiated by solid empirical evidence and research so that in a
transparent nature, the members of the internet universe can decide whether
and how improvements should be made. For instance, I see it as the
responsibility of people from within the regions that they are respectively
from to empower and enlighten their people to participate in policy
processes. If they are denied the opportunity to participate and participate
meaningful, then we have a serious problem but until then, we should seek to
support the multi-stakeholder model.

If for some reason, the developing world feels that they are not given the
opportunity to have their say, then they should speak up and move into
positions where they can contribute and speak up for their communities.  We
need to encourage catalysts within regions to work closely with the United
Nations Internet Governance Secretariat Remote Participation team and
Network Operator Groups (NOGs), Internet Service Providers (ISPs), and other
stakeholders within the region to ensure cohesive participation for all.
This should be an enhancement of process which is something that the
Coordinators can lobby and push for in a strategic coherent manner.

 Sala

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
> > It's worth stying something, endorse Nupef and go further:  emphasize our
> > disappointment that the recommendation is misleadingly represented as the
> > outcome of an multi-stakeholder meeting.  That the IGC strongly disagrees
> > with the creation of a new body, and strongly disagrees with the six
> points
> > about such a body.  Suggest that the creation of an IBSA IG development
> > observatory based on such misleading interpretations would be ill
> advised.
>
> +1
>
> --
> Cheers,