[governance] Final version open letter to e-G20 re: Civil Society Inclusion/non-Inclusion

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Oct 7 00:08:58 EDT 2011

On Friday 07 October 2011 02:44 AM, McTim wrote:

> Except that he wants "major decisions should be taken by a globally
> representative forum.",

The reference to a 'globally representative forum' is vis a vis the kind
of 'decisions' that OECD, G 8 and G 20 kind of forums take. In general,
for a wiser set of functions we can speak of forums instead of forum as
long as we dont forget the 'globally representative part'. It is also
somewhat amazing how easily how ignore that part - about the
undemocratic nature of global decisions/ policy making in relation to
the Internet.

> when in fact, it is multiple fora each making
> decisions about their own little corner of the Internet

'the little corner' thing is a myth. Most of them make decisions for the
Internet for the whole world, and you know it.

>   that has been
> the successful model of what we now call Internet governance.

Successful for whom? That always is 'the' question. Internet's net
neutrality is now increasingly being 'officially' transgressed. What was
a public network of millions of networks, is now increasingly largely
consisting of few mega private spaces. The story can go on.......
parminder