[governance] Final version open letter to e-G20 re: Civil Society Inclusion/non-Inclusion

Sonigitu Ekpe sonigituekpe at crossriverstate.gov.ng
Thu Oct 6 16:47:33 EDT 2011

Dear All,

Great inputs from Parminder!

Warm regards,

On 6 Oct 2011 20:43, "parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

**
I am not happy with the IGC just calling for civil society inclusion. It is
not enough if 20 largest governments along with largely their industry take
important Internet related decisions, even if they include respective civil
societies (or even the broader global civil society) . Internet is global,
and its major decisions should be taken by a globally representative forum.
For this reason, whenever we write such letters for including civil society
in select country confabulations, we should also ask for all countries to be
included. For this purpose appropriate institutional forms must be evolved.

I have no basic objection to some country meeting on select issues and
discussing things, However, this kind of thing happening in the context of a
deep global democratic deficit in IG area, and to the extent such meeting
perpetuate this democratic deficit, is what is the problem. We must have a
clear view on this 'problem'.

Otherwise I find the letter quite good.

Can we inquire with the drafters of the letter if we can add a sentence on
non inclusion of all countries in such 'global' IG discussions as we call
for inclusion of the civil society.

parminder

    governance at lists.cpsr.org