[governance] Final version open letter to e-G20 re: Civil Society Inclusion/non-Inclusion

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Oct 6 11:27:25 EDT 2011

I am not happy with the IGC just calling for civil society inclusion. It
is not enough if 20 largest governments along with largely their
industry take important Internet related decisions, even if they include
respective civil societies (or even the broader global civil society) .
Internet is global, and its major decisions should be taken by a
globally representative forum. For this reason, whenever we write such
letters for including civil society in select country confabulations, we
should also ask for all countries to be included. For this purpose
appropriate institutional forms must be evolved.

I have no basic objection to some country meeting on select issues and
discussing things, However, this kind of thing happening in the context
of a deep global democratic deficit in IG area, and to the extent such
meeting perpetuate this democratic deficit, is what is the problem. We
must have a clear view on this 'problem'.

Otherwise I find the letter quite good.

Can we inquire with the drafters of the letter if we can add a sentence
on non inclusion of all countries in such 'global' IG discussions as we
call for inclusion of the civil society.

parminder