RES: [governance] Proposal to Merge Website and Mailing List Consultations [Administration/Logistics]

Vanda UOL vanda at uol.com.br
Wed Nov 16 10:59:12 EST 2011

Thanks Salanieta!

Kisses

Vanda Scartezini

Polo Consultores Associados

IT Trend

Alameda Santos 1470 – 1407,8

01418-903 São Paulo,SP, Brasil

Tel + 5511 3266.6253

Mob + 55118181.1464

De: governance at lists.cpsr.org [mailto:governance at lists.cpsr.org] Em nome de
Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 16 de novembro de 2011 01:48
Para: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Cc: Izumi AIZU
Assunto: [governance] Proposal to Merge Website and Mailing List
Consultations [Administration/Logistics]

Dear All,

:) Greetings from Asia Pacific! Trusting that you are all in excellent
health. This email is in relation to our the status of our website and
mailing list. Izumi and I have had discussions with Jeremy.

Kindly find the Summary enclosed and for those who are new to the list, we
warmly welcome you. For those who are interested in further information on
the range of dialogue that has taken place in the past, you have the option
of going into the archived mail via the CPSR site or read the background
information below the Summary.

Summary

1.   Given that the Website is hosted by APC and the Mailing List by CPSR,
do you agree to have the Website and List merged?

2.   If you agree to the merging of the website mailing list and website,
would you prefer to have it hosted by an independent server or rely on the
generosity of a like minded organisation?

3.   What mode of fundraising would you prefer from the options listed
below?

The Coordinators are in favour of merging the mailing list and the website
and fundraising to enable the transition. We are also inclined towards
hosting it on an independent server.  The cost is $150US for the Transition
but to continue for 3 years, we are looking at fundraising for $500US.

All in favour for merging the list and website say – AYE (YES)

All in favour of hosting the list and website on an independent server say
–AYE (YES)

All in favour for fundraising say – AYE (YES)

From,

Izumi and Sala (Coordinators)

For those who wish to read more about the context of the current discussions
read on:

Background

On January 11, 2011, Jeremy Malcolm in his capacity as co-coordinator had
sought feedback from the list on the options for moving the governance
mailing list because the CPSR which has hosted our list is no longer
operating and cannot maintain its free service to us indefinitely.  Whilst
there is no immediate urgency as we have about 2 years to vacate the
<http://cpsr.org/> cpsr.org mailing list server.  We are of the view that it
would be great if we could seek closure on this matter shortly before the
end of this year.

Jeremy had pointed to three options around January 2011:

.
1. Asking another like-minded organisation to host it.  Jeremy checked
with the APC who host our Web site, and they say that their mailing list
server runs different software (Mailman), so it would be difficult and
time-consuming to try to shift our archives over to their server.

server that hosts the IGF
Community Site, which is where Jeremy had created the subsidiary mailing
lists for our Iworking groups.  It runs the same software that we use
now, so migrating the list with archives intact would be fairly easy.

3. The other option is that we raise some money and hire our own
dedicated virtual server.  We could, in that case, move our Web site and
database over there too.

Aside from Jeremy, there were other offers to provide shared hosting to add
domain of “igcaucus.org”

and mailing list with mailman applications and Pakistan IGF was willing to
pick up the costs for shared initiatives.

Whilst Jeremy had initially recommended Consumers International hosting the
website, this was abandoned because of the difficulties that Consumers
International would be able to give a written commitment that future
co-coordinators would be given administrative privileges and that they would
support the platform and raise the issue of continuity and stability.

Jeremy then pointed to the other option of having a "Donate" button on our
Web site.

In the past there was talk about making an application for a grant from a
donor like the UN Democracy Fund, but this raised people's fears about
over-institutionalising the IGC.

Avri suggested that it may be good for the IGF to have funding of its own.

Our website is currently hosted by APC.

Proposal to the List

The Options are listed for your consideration and transparency.

Option #

Description

Strengths

Weaknesses

Option 1

Ask another like-minded organisation to host it

Cheaper, Convenient

Stability, Continuity, Independence

Option 2

Move our mailing list to igf-online.net

Option 3

Hire our own dedicated virtual server where we can move our Website and
Database

Stability, Continuity, Independence, more flexibility in evolution of
website

Cost based

Having discussed this at great length and noting the comments and dialogue
from the list earlier this year our Proposal to the list is to activate
Option 3 which is to hire our own dedicated virtual server where we can move
our Website and Database.

Proposed Methodology Fund Raising  (FROptions)

FR Option#1

Creation of Trust Account

FR Option#2

Creation of a Donate Button on Website using Flattr (Social Micropayments)

FR Option#3

Sponsorship

FR Option#4

Wire Transfer

Proposed Cost

Moving the website from APC’s Server and the mailing list from CPSR into one
independent commercial web-hosting service will cost USD150 per annum. To
guarantee service for the next three (3) years, we will need to raise
USD500.

Note: People can anonymously donate via Option 2 and 3. The Fund Raising is
not compulsory/mandatory and is reliant on kind donations, goodwill and
generosity.

List Consultation

As such, we are inviting your views on the matter and will close
consultations on this matter.

--

Izumi and Sala (Coordinators)