[governance] Re: ICANN Accountability and Transparency

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 16 08:32:34 EST 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 11:49 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2011, at 9:37 PM, David Allen wrote:
>>> So do you believe that the following report (including the
>>> completed actions to date) is not accurate, or for some reason
>>> does the implementation that has occurred not count?
>>>
>>> <http://www.icann.org/en/accountability/atrt-implementation-summary-24oct11-en.pdf
>>> >

>> As to this additional question:
>>
>> The context here concerns - among others - sometimes-years of
>> bottoms-up volunteer effort that is effectively ignored and,
>> instead, preemptively overruled with staff decisions.
>>
>> While I am glad to have the link to the pdf, there is nothing there
>> - that I can see - suggesting the core concern is ameliorated, or
>> even broached for consideration.
>
> I don't know if it addresses your "core concern" or not, but I take
> the report (and the efforts represented in it) as affirmative
> evidence on the question of whether some system weaknesses in
> accountability and transparency are being corrected as a result of
> community feedback.

Indeed, we could hope that is so.  For, as said, some 'system
weaknesses.'

Then, ...

>>> _Long_ years - and years - of experience make clear that this most
>>> decidedly is not so.
>
> Past experience can be (at best) a predictor of present behavior;
> such predictions are only one data point to be considered (in
> addition to present day actions) when judging whether the problem
> will continue on or whether the situation will improve. I do believe
> we reference the same ideas and facts, but differ on the analysis
> and therefore probable outcome.

Few would disagree, I believe, that the past is only some indicator of
future outcomes.  As a general proposition.

However.  Each case brings its own context.

In a case such as this, there are views 'from within,' then there are
views watching 'from without.'

 From those within, it seems we would hope for optimistic
expectations.  Otherwise it is hard to see any prospect at all.

However, those without see an accumulated history.  Experience,
regularly repeated, has shown reviews sloughed off perfunctorily.
With, all the while, regular protestations that 'this time will be
different.'  But it wasn't.  Repeatedly.

In such a case, those without are - as the saying goes, in the US -
'from Missouri.'  Meaning that they say, 'Show me.'  (Don't tell me.)

A followup noted:

On Nov 14, 2011, at 3:08 AM, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> I'd say that it's impossible to determine whether the system
> weaknesses are actually being corrected until it's possible to look
> at the results of this process.

In the case at hand, the stakes are the whole ball game, where some
'without' are busily investigating alternatives.

At stake are

-- ICANN's principal claim to make a global contribution, namely
multistakeholderism.  But the signature vehicle to deliver MS -
bottoms-up participation - has disenfranchised exactly those supposed
to be in the hunt, when staff decisions dismiss and counter their work.

-- The attractant for global legitimacy, even for otherwise skeptical
states:  a public service model, where all legitimate interests are
treated evenhandedly.  When, instead, there is a corruption of
interests (a 'conflict of interest,' a phrase that was among text
recently quoted from the EU, is another more polite form).

Of course for some prospect of change, that which might change first
has to become explicit, on the agenda.  These two items, vital to
health of the enterprise, are not presented in the process underway.

> /John

David