[governance] New IANA contract and other agreements

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Nov 15 09:42:31 EST 2011

On Nov 15, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Roland Perry wrote:

> Or is this ICANN acting solely as the operator of the IANA function at the time of signing all those agreements? If so, perhaps we need a mechanism to transfer them to a new IANA operator (should one be chosen).

That would be between ICANN and the other parties in the agreements.

For example, the NRO serves as ICANN's Address Support Organization (ASO)
I would not expect that to change in the least as a result of any IANA
Function contract outcome.   Another example is the administration of
the in-addr.arpa zone, where ICANN now generates the contents of that
zone per request of the IAB & the NRO.  This was done directly between
the parties (as opposed to an expansion of the IANA Functions contract)
and would like only move with the consideration of all of the parties.

While a new IANA Function operator would need to have close working
relations with the others in the IAB/ISOC/ICANN/NRO/root operators
space, it is not readily apparent that it would need formal agreements
with any of them.

/John

(my views alone based on my personal knowledge; none of ARIN, NRO, IAB,
UN, NTIA, ITU, or any other organization has reviewed and approved them)____________________________________________________________
     governance at lists.cpsr.org