[governance] Digital Agenda: Commission welcomes improvements in new IANA contract

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Nov 15 08:59:49 EST 2011

In message <8E69CD4A-A9A2-424B-80C1-CFE9F53E72B2 at digsys.bg>, at 14:27:43
on Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes

>> For example, if there's a new cctld (such as South Sudan) as I
>>understand it this require ICANN's approval for it, recognising the
>>public interest involved when new countries are accepted by UN, ISO
>>etc, to be added to the root.
>
>If we follows ICANN's own example, set in the IDN Fast Track process
>and now amended with the new gTLD process -- ICANN is merely
>'approving' or in a way 'creating' the TLD string and it's usage purpose.

I think ICANN is signing off on the possibility that a new cctld can be
issued. Whether this is completely automatic once ISO have listed the
country (and I agree that ISO makes the choice of which two letter
string) is a very interesting question. Once the country has the
entitlement, the next step (where RFC 1591 still has relevance) is
choosing a relevant manager.

>Then, in a completely separate process, IANA is delegating this string
>to an registry.

So you don't think an ICANN exchange of letters or accountability
frameworks with a potential country manger is binding on IANA's choice
of who the manager will be?

>Therefore, there is not much to change.
>
>By the way, in your example, 'ss' will be created by the ISO3166
>committee (of which ICANN is a member), not by ICANN.

Yes, the string is chosen by ISO as part of the process of the new
country being "recognised" by the International community.

>Once this string is in the ISO3166 list, IANA can assign the
>corresponding ccTLD to a registry. ICANN does not participate in this
>process.

http://www.icann.org/en/cctlds/agreements.html

Or is this ICANN acting solely as the operator of the IANA function at
the time of signing all those agreements? If so, perhaps we need a
mechanism to transfer them to a new IANA operator (should one be
chosen).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org