[governance] Re: ICANN Accountability and Transparency

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 13 13:40:26 EST 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 12:58 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2011, at 12:37 PM, David Allen wrote:
>
>> Since discussion advances with evidence and logic, let's take the
>> next steps with facts and analysis.
>>
>> Quoting from below, in reverse and various order.
>>
>>> There are system weaknesses that may be corrected with the
>>> transparent monitoring and review through the public feedback
>>> about the direct influence reflected on decisions of the external
>>> public services.
>>

>> _Long_ years - and years - of experience make clear that this most
>> decidedly is not so.
>
> Strange.  The most recent effort in this area was the ATRT review:
> <http://www.icann.org/en/accountability/atrt-report-25jun11-en.pdf>
>
> Are you suggesting that: A) The ATRT review did not identify the key
> changes
> necessary to provide the necessary accountability and transparency,
> or B) that
> ICANN is not going to implement the results in an effective manner,
> or C) some
> other reason why the ability of the community to correct ICANN's
> weaknesses
> in these areas "most decidedly is not so" ?
>
> I'd like to understand the analytic basis of your premise in light
> of the most recent
> ATRT review and action item followup activity.
>
> Thanks!
> /John

Thanks.

B), modified - as the original noted:

This is only the last in a long series of reviews and criticisms, over
several years.  ICANN has brushed off each of those reviews, with
perfunctory acknowledgement.  Over years.  Years.

When the track record is so clear, protestations that 'things will be
different this time,' just don't cut it.  Only action.

Again, history and facts are determinative.  Including future history,
when and as it may come to pass.

This is a case where _only_ results, finally, can overcome the stain
of a past record.  Not protestations.

Thanks,  David