[governance] Re: Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .?? (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 13 12:37:07 EST 2011

Since discussion advances with evidence and logic, let's take the next
steps with facts and analysis.

Quoting from below, in reverse and various order.

> There are system weaknesses that may be corrected with the
> transparent monitoring and review through the public feedback about
> the direct influence reflected on decisions of the external public
> services.

_Long_ years - and years - of experience make clear that this most
decidedly is not so.

Various reviews of the organization - over years - have spotlighted
the problem of 'transparency,' of 'accountability.'  Which are polite
forms of identifying this mess, a mess which corrodes any real
prospect for ICANN's legitimacy, which is itself fundamental to being
an efffective public service.

Despite such 'review through public feedback,' as specified in the
quote above, over those long years the problem has continued on.  As
said, acknowledged by those with intimate familiarity.

The above quoted statement is flatly contradicted by experience.

> We can understand that what was happen and what were the reasons of
> the consequences but can’t use these examples [Bulgaria and Greece]
> as an evidence to justify and to rectify the problems.

As George Santayana said so quotably, "Those who will not learn
history are condemned to repeat its mistakes."  (Words to that effect.)

To suppose that we cannot use data as evidence is to cripple any
serious effort to learn, so as to live in a better world.

> every organization has its own culture which is not followed by any
> pre-written governance.

ICANN is not 'any' - or an example of 'every' - organization.  This
organization supposedly serves the entire world community of seven
billion.  Either, over the by-now long years of its existence, it
manages to find a stance - and culture - which legitimately serves the
whole public, not a tiny coterie.  Or ...

> Such criticism has negative influence on the enthusiasm of the
> volunteer activities and will leads to the situation of voluntarily
> burnout.

> It does not mean that opens discussion about the criticism on the
> organization or to use harsh language and quoting hard bashing
> stances.

If the thought quoted just above had also encompassed the full
constituency supposedly served, including the states of the world, the
full perspective might be clear.

This list has for some time, and recently, been discussing the very
real efforts by various empowered actors, such as some states, to find
a suitable replacement for ICANN.  Why do we think they may be so
motivated?

There are a number of reasons of course.  And some of those reasons
are not so savory.  But certainly one sustaining reason perceives how
ICANN serves a small group, not the interests of the world body
politic.  And of course therefore not necessarily the legitimate
interests of each of those actors who have moved on to seek
alternatives.

The interest, in ICANN, by some of these empowered actors, among them
some states, has _long ago_ 'burned out.'  Their 'hard bashing stance'
was clear.  But instead of saying so forthrightly, instead of
'criticizing,' such as on a list of this sort, they simply have moved
on, to find and erect alternatives.

Speaking accurately is the one hope to move to a better place.  Rather
than keeping facts from view.

As to ICANN volunteers, and staff:  Imagine ICANN volunteers who have
spent years, hard work and well done, only to find their work
summarily dismissed and ignored.  Those volunteers, and there are
plenty of them, 'burned out' - long ago.  Because ICANN did not
correct itself - not because of any 'criticism' here, obviously.
Staff, unfortunately, live with the aura of the organization from
which they come.

I must apologize for not being able to converse in Urdu.  I apologize
because I may not be understanding accurately all the author of the
post is trying valiantly to convey, in my language, English.

However.

Dialog ensues productively when we discuss ideas, the facts and the
analysis around them.  Not when the person is the focus.  That
threatens to become ad hominem - an attack on the person, which is
both uncivil and disrupts the prospect for useful exchange among
differing ideas.

The above - and I strongly encourage throughout - addresses just the
ideas, the facts and analysis surrounding (it is not addressed to the,
or to a, person).

David