[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Nov 9 03:28:10 EST 2011

On 07.11.11 21:35, Imran Ahmed Shah wrote:
> [IAS:] If you would like to propose only Cyrillic characters will be allowed
> for IDN.IDN (Cyrillic.бг) for Bulgaria,
> where ASCI.бг will not allowed, just to create a significant differentiation
> this is a Cyrillic IDN domain.
> 1. Please not that this is again different from the Fast Track  Program
> implementation process where 1-IDN+ASCI.IDN is allowed.

True. However, for people in Bulgaria, the only reason to request .бг is
to be able to write everything in Cyrillic.

If this was not the case, the Bulgarian applicant would have accepted
the advice by ICANN staff and select another IDN TLD. Then, they would
have an IDN ccTLD registry to play with (there were voices within the
Government that they want a pet ccTLD to play with or give whomever they
wish -- these voices are not longer heard, especially as the latest
Government was elected). In my opinion (and I don't expect anyone to
share it, yet) such alternative names would not have been adopted,
because users have choice where to create domain names already and they
do understand them.

> 2. How the users will be educated to be able to understand that what's mean
> what.

This is an interesting question. We have been discussing a lot of
options about this, including different pronunciation of the Cyrillic
and ASCII 'bg' -- but I do not believe these belong to this list and in
any case, .бг is still an project with undefined future and timeframe.
We know only one thing about it: it will happen.

> 4. Cyrillic-IDN.bg might be allowed now or in future, so again the formula
> will not work to establish a common understanding.

Anyone can register IDN.bg since 5 September 2009.

Daniel

     governance at lists.cpsr.org