[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 17:18:17 EST 2011

Dear Paul and all IGC Members.

If you are interested to know that who made the mistake, please study the following comments/recommendations of 22 February 2008 with the subject of “Introduction of IDN ccTLDs - Important Suggestions for Policy preparation of FastTrack”, http://forum.icann.org/lists/idn-cctld-issues/msg00011.html  that highlight many issues but as we are discussing the naming convention, so I will discuss over here only one:

“Problem Identification:

It is proposed that basis of selecting 2 letter should be resolved first.

Now the question arises is that how this modification will be made.

For the reference of UN Authorities they already have abbreviation in 3 letters for country codes (please see http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm)

For reference of M/s International Organization of Standardization (ISO), their systems and procedures were developed on the basis of traditional English abbreviations only to accommodate Internet Community which knows English Language. Now the requirement has been changed and demand arisen to develop Multilingual Internet to further accommodate 65% non-English Internet Users (about 820 million). So if the nonconformity is reported, International Organization Standardization has to resolve this issue by deputing their resources (support auditors) to develop well-documented nonconformity and change their standards to accommodate International Languages for the formation of Country and Regional codes of abbreviations. The criteria for the selection of abbreviations should be meaningful to adopt with in the community of the related Country/ Language. “

[IAS:] I have identified the problems of abbreviations and informed ICANN that the standard list that you are going to follow ISO-3166-1 two or three letters country codes is already lacking the abbreviations of the countries in their own respective language. If ICANN is following it, this list should be updated accordingly.
I also send letters & faxes to a. ISO International Offices, b. UN Office, c. World Bank International office at the same time
because ICANN was going to refer this document ISO-3166-1 as a standard list of the countries or territories for IDN ccTLD Fast Track Program.

[IAS:] The result of this initial recommendation also relaxed the two letters limitation so far…

[IAS:] It was better to prepare a list of Country Names and Country Code Abbreviations jointly by UN+ISO+WorldBank and each Country, each line of each country in his official language, and this list should be used as a standard of ISO by any organization, thus ICANN would follow that list and every one may be benefitted. For example, today ccTLD for each country is a standard two letter, Airlines Country Codes for each Country and City is accommodated in 3 letters. Each language community per country would be facilitated with their own abbreviations or country code name as IDN ccTLD.

Now you can better guess what was the one of basic problem of this system that was ignored.

Thanks and Regards

Imran Ahmad Shah