[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:29:24 EST 2011

Perhaps ICANN needs a "spring", a "Facebook revolution"?
I always remember the ISOC meeting at ICANN 2007 in Puerto Rico, the first
occasion of ICANN fellowships - I had one, thank you. Someone from the
financial administration of ICANN was commenting gravely on the possible
negative response of "business" to the investment in fellowships and the
fact that they, after all, were providing the money. A very quiet but firm
response was offered by someone from the ISOC community in France, who
pointed out that "we", the users, pay for everything. Are the strings in
question "confusingly similar".to "us"? Has anybody bothered to ask?
Deirdre

On 6 November 2011 02:29, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2011, at 3:36 AM, nhklein wrote:
>
> > On 11/06/2011 12:53 AM, Paul Lehto wrote:
> >>
> >> To the extent possible, a statement regarding "mutual mistake of fact"
> is usually grounds to get out of a contract or deal or understanding, and
> into a new process or negotiation.   It also allows both parties to save
> face, in that both have made a mistake.  I am not familiar enough with the
> details of the communications and its history to know if this would
> possibly apply or not, but if there is some basis for it, I'd advocate
> serious consideration of making mutual mistake an element of a letter
> urging reconsideration of this (non)decision.
> >>
> >> Paul Lehto, J.D.
> >
> > Could somebody please point out where "both [parties] have made a
> mistake"?
>
> It can be argued of course, with sufficient proof that both the applicant
> and ICANN made mistakes during this process. I understand Pauls point here
> and such route is indeed exploitable, but..
>
> My observation has been, that ICANN has never ever admitted a mistake.
> Instead, all similar occurrences so far were handled in a different way, by
> introducing something "new and breakthrough" with much fanfare, that not
> simply resolves the issue, but is a gorgeous gift from ICANN to the
> community.
>
> Whatever the course, I do believe a strong IG opinion on the way these
> situations are handled will be most useful. Saving face, mutual mistake
> admitting etc is something that only ICANN and the Bulgarian Government
> (and other applicants) may decide -- not our community. That is not to mean
> we cannot give them such advice.

>     governance at lists.cpsr.org

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979