[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

nhklein nhklein at gmx.net
Thu Nov 3 13:27:31 EDT 2011

While I appreciate that we moved from the ophthalmologic discussion on -
what is confusingly similar? -  I still feel very much with the
Bulgarian applicants and their frustration, having followed the
discussion since the beginning:

They have been locked into a kind of "closed circuit" situation: those
who considered the Bulgarian proposal to be confusingly similar were the
same ones to whom the Bulgarian applicants could talk - and these
experts did not display much sense (as I do not see any signs of it) for
the fact that this is an application properly based in the selfhood of a
linguistic-script community with a history of many centuries - apart
from the fact that many voices using "common sense" did not agree with
the "expert" group's opinion.

But as Adam Peake quoted, the discussion during a recent ICANN meeting
did not open any exit from the dilemma, with the following casual remarks:

= = = =
 >> ROD BECKSTROM:  Thank you for the question.  We'd be happy to have
discussions with you privately.  We don't have public discussions about
IDN fast track applications.  Thank you.
= = = =

When the "rules" do not provide a satisfying solution and the applicant
feels being handled unjustly, there is only one way: that a sufficiently
concerned group of people take the initiative to change the "rules" -
that is to propose to the ICANN board to institute an open appeal
process, where not only ophthalmologic questions are discussed, but also
the more fundamental problem: whether a technical group appointed by
ICANN can override arguments of a fundamental nature - like that the
people of a script community have an appropriate weight with their own
arguments rooted in their linguistic and script tradition.

Norbert Klein

=

--
A while ago, I started a new blog:

...thinking it over... after 21 years in Cambodia
http://www.thinking21.org/

continuing to share reports and comments from Cambodia.

Norbert Klein
nhklein at gmx.net
Phnom Penh / Cambodia