[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Nov 3 07:56:06 EDT 2011

On 03.11.11 12:57, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> Hi Norbert, I agree mostly anything (except perhaps formal binding
> contracts) can be overridden, but I see no signs of a proposal which
> would convince Icann to change decisions already made.

Problem is, there is no decision, by anyone, on this subject. There is
only this 'expert' opinion about confusability, floating around.

If there was a decision, there would already be appeal or other process
to challenge it. There is, an year and a half already, social
engineering effort to convince Bulgaria to withdraw it's request for .бг.

> E.g, how about proposing that cyrillic ccTLDs have three instead of two
> chars, using ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 instead of alpha-2? Anathema, great,
> whatever, but were are the concrete proposals on the table? This is why
> I posed the question with my implicit view that this might not change if
> concrete, sound proposals are not submitted and enable consensus.

There is already research to permit 'single letter' IDN labels in the
root. It appears that the opinion so far is that this should not be a
problem. My guess is, there is already an IDN gTLD ... customer... that
demonstrated such demand.

The original IDN Fast Track procedure had quite different idea, than the
actual implementation. Under the original idea, it was not ICANN's
business to decide what labels are acceptable. There were many
proposals, from various international bodies, including the ISO 3166
committee (of which ICANN is a member) to produce an "IDN list of
country codes". All of these were denied by ICANN. The obvious reason at
the time was that "it will take too much time", but then, the IDN Fast
Track proposal already took too much time.

The ISO 3166-1 list is just that -- a list of codes that countries
agreed to identify each of them (using one procedure or another). There
is no anonymous 'linguistic expert panel' that has veto rights or such.
The process is slow but stable and quite predictable. I believe at some
point ISO3166 will have IDN codes as well, soon or later, with our
without ICANN. Since these codes are used for many more things than
domain names on Internet, it is likely ICANN will have no say in this
process at all. But one day, there will be these codes in the ISO3166
list. Guess what will be the code for Bulgaria.

I am little confused by your proposal though: are you suggesting that
Cyrillic and perhaps Greek alphabet strings for the root (because, we
talk about a ccTLD now, but the requirements should be the same for
anything in DNS, right?) should be at least three characters long, as to
reduce the probability of being confused by a similarly looking Latin
alphabet strings?

Daniel

     governance at lists.cpsr.org