[governance] Cyber Security 2011

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:30:28 EDT 2011

Another link which may or may not be useful - Aljazeera is advertising a
documentary on Cyberwarfare at 12 GMT (noon I think) tomorrow  12:0008:00 Al
Jazeera World : Fighting In The Fifth Dimension
It’s been called the fifth dimension of warfare. Besides land, sea, air and
space – this film shows how cyberworld is increasingly become a new
frontline.Coincidence??
Deirdre

2011/11/1 Philipp Mirtl <Philipp.Mirtl at oiip.ac.at>

> **
>
> Hi all,
>
> I just saw Andrea is at the conference too and am glad he is reporting as
> well. I also found all the posted links and articles to be very interesting
> for this discussion. In this respect, Alexander asked me to add the
> following three points to this list:
>
> 1. From behalf of the UK and US there was a stronger advocacy for the
> multistakeholder approach than originally thought (this includes civil
> society engagement as well as freedom of expression). In fact, the IGF (and
> the engagement of governments, the private sector, and civil society) was
> mentioned twice.
>
> 2. PM Cameron said: governments do not shape the Internet (speech see
> here: http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/cyberspace/)
>
> 3. US-VP Biden mentioned the IGF as a good example of what should be done
> (his address can be accessed here:
> http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2011/11/01/vice-president-biden-delivers-remarks-london-conference-cyberspace
> ).
>
> We'll keep you updated and hope to add some insightful impressions of the
> conference.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> philipp

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979