AW: [governance] Cyber Security 2011

Philipp Mirtl Philipp.Mirtl at oiip.ac.at
Tue Nov 1 18:07:38 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I just saw Andrea is at the conference too and am glad he is reporting as well. I also found all the posted links and articles to be very interesting for this discussion. In this respect, Alexander asked me to add the following three points to this list:

1. From behalf of the UK and US there was a stronger advocacy for the multistakeholder approach than originally thought (this includes civil society engagement as well as freedom of expression). In fact, the IGF (and the engagement of governments, the private sector, and civil society) was mentioned twice.

2. PM Cameron said: governments do not shape the Internet (speech see here: http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/cyberspace/)

3. US-VP Biden mentioned the IGF as a good example of what should be done (his address can be accessed here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2011/11/01/vice-president-biden-delivers-remarks-london-conference-cyberspace).

We'll keep you updated and hope to add some insightful impressions of the conference.

Kind regards,

philipp