[governance] Cyber Security 2011

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Tue Nov 1 11:53:31 EDT 2011

Norbert,

I guess yours are good questions for the online debate, see
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/global-issues/london-conference-cyberspace/cyber-conference-details/#online-debate.

Best,

Andrea

On Tuesday, November 1, 2011, nhklein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 10:04 PM, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
>
> Norbert,
>
> I am not sure I understand the question and, as I mentioned, the European
Commission was not involved on organizing this conference.

> I guess the UK are taking the lead this year and other countries will do
so in 2012 and 2013.. Nothing strange.

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2011/11/01/our-man-in-cyberspace/?mod=google_news_blog

> and I am now even more confused about the nature of this conference
(including the future plans):

> = =
> Mr. Duncan... [who wrote some COBOL and Algol code as an undergraduate
student - is this quoted as a sign of qualification for the present
task?]...

> But he has a refreshingly open approach to the task. “We are all
struggling with how to respond to the degree of interdependence and
interconnectivity that exists in the network world,” he said. “It is one of
the major challenges that exists for our institutions and governments. That
question cannot be easily resolved in one and a half days.”

> He is frank when challenged that the conference runs the risk of being
simply “talks about talks.” In one and a half days, the conference isn’t
going to produce an action plan or a treaty. So what would the U.K.
government consider a success? “If we have started a dialog at senior level
with a series of platforms where that dialog can take place. It is a dialog
with business, both small and big, civil society, and governments, looking
at how do we rise to the challenges of cyberspace, both the opportunities
and the threats,” he said.

> “Success is about making sure it is a sustainable dialog, not a one-off.”
> = =
>
> (Boldface added by me)
>
> I am baffled: Does Mr. Duncan not know that a dialog at senior level with
a series of platforms... started with WSIS 2003 and 2005, there is the IGF,
the OECD, the UK government sends regularly somebody to ICANN's GAC,  etc.
etc.

> Or is it a an intentional affront to state that all that what is going on
is not useful - and now we come!!!

> I am really at a loss to understand what is stated in the Wall Street
Journal report.

> Norbert
>

> On Tuesday, November 1, 2011, nhklein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 11/01/2011 09:06 PM, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sala,
>>>
>>> It's always better to specify. :)
>>>
>>> I believe most documents are being uploaded on the conference website
(see http://www.fco.gov.uk/). I must say that in my view the organizers
have made real efforts to facilitate remote participation. I also don't
agree that they tried to keep the conference "secret", as someone said.

>>> FYI, it looks like Hungary will host the 2012 edition of the conference
and Korea (I assume South :) will do it in 2013.

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andrea
>>
>> Please help me to understand: the "London Conference on Cyberspace" is
announced on the website of the UK's "Foreign and Commonwealth Office" -
what nature of conference is it, if a 2012 "edition" will be hosted by
Hungary in 2012 and another one 2013 in Korea?