[governance] Organising for multiple forums

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue May 31 06:41:32 EDT 2011

Hi Ian,

Thanks for touching on an important subject that as Jeremy shared was
also raised in the past but fizzled out as discussion died down but
there is opportunity here as once Ginger discussed on the list during
her coordinator tenure.

The fundamental aspect here that you have touched is institutional
form and what Jeremy shares is the foundational structure that can
gain the confidence of donors and at the end of the day financially
sustain the existence of such an institutional capacity.

I think the inherent fears of an institutional form (non-for-profit
organization) is the development of politics, lobbies and
bureaucracies. Then the housing of such an institution, the choice of
country, obviously will have to be somewhere around where all the
action is and might receive the consensus of being in Geneva if the
consensus did happen.

This remains a touchy area I guess for the many of us in the
developing world that how this structure would be governed and which
members may gain control over such an institutional structure and
might end up with a lobby supporting only a handful of views from a
certain group.

Due to the open nature of IGC's current list form where members are
from any stakeholder group, it also raises concern over the kind of
consensus that may result tending to bend over to certain sides, yes
these are just assumptions but they do remain a major concern.

I would at this stage suggest to first conduct a small research
activity and see if the whole idea of institutionalization even gets
off the ground with consensus. Lets say move forward with what we have
suggested in the past to have working groups, focal points, issue
experts etc.

There are two approaches here. First the the focal point approach,
why? Possibly because we can't have the whole IGC switching to every
issue that comes its way and we need a certain form of expert working
group of volunteers that can tackle a given issue from a particular
internet public policy arrangement or institution.

Say the focal point is either one or two members that lead a
specialized working group on a particular subject. For example, the
IGC Human Rights Focal Point may lead forward from IGC the IRP Dynamic
Coalition Output to other forums and thus bridge both sustainability
to the output as well as position IGC in the debates.

Let me share an example from Katitza and the OECD Civil Society
interventions the CSISAC. Now more or less we need members of OECD
countries to follow and intervene OECD activities. Similarly, the same
would be to coordinate the creation of working groups on each topic.
CSTD has APC and IT For Change participation. Similarly we have some
on the WIPO Development Agenda, then we have the CSTD Working Group on
Improvements and therefore can also have working groups for e-G8,
eG20, IGF, and perhaps other UN affiliated activities that link to or
impact the Internet Governance space.

Now there were some recent IGC internal working groups established
around strategy etc.....these working group leaders can be declared
focal points from their groups and produce and forward to IGC periodic
summaries or reports to the IGC Coordinators for presentation to IGC
for consensus. Creation of new Focused Working Groups, streamlining
existing working groups and initiatives etc will help to create a
picture whether we can exist as an Organization with legal
incorporation, structure, offices etc.

Its hard to do so but it is not impossible to achieve. It can't be
done without showing output and displaying that developing countries
did have an equal footing in the overall process and did witness their
perspectives reaching these forums etc. So it has to be an exercise
first over a period of a year to determine whether this is a workable
approach or not.

--
Regards.

Fouad