[governance] Organising for multiple forums

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue May 31 04:43:38 EDT 2011

On 31/05/11 15:01, Ian Peter wrote:
> So I do think we need to put some effort into changing our
> organisation to give it the capability to represent civil society on
> internet governance matters in multiple forums and through multiple
> voices.
>
> I do not believe that we could undertake this necessary task without
> at least a part time employee and some minimal travel for funding. In
> order to receive such funding, we may also need to have a more formal
> structure or at least an affiliation with a more formally constructed
> body able to provide the administrative functions on our behalf.

This has been raised before (including by me [0]), and there has always
been a reluctance to change.  This doesn't mean that I think there is no
point in discussing it again; on the contrary.  I only haven't been
pushing the discussion so far because I am "on the way out" as IGC
coordinator, and I think the heavy lifting will have to be done by Izumi
and the next coordinator.

But if the IGC does decide to proceed along these lines, I may be able
to help right away.  I put in a funding application on behalf of
Consumers International to Ford Foundation, which was successful, for a
project titled "Consumer Representation in the Information Society".
I'm attaching the relevant pages of the proposal.  It is possible that
some of the funding could go towards contracting the next co-coordinator
of the IGC on a very part-time basis.

But if I have learned anything about the IGC, it's that you can't assume
that changes of any sort will go down well with everyone, so I'm going
to sit back at this point and see what the reaction is.

[0] http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2009-12/msg00124.html

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't